RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » room on zephyr

Author Topic: room on zephyr
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be travaling on the zephyer on the 18th of may and was wondering if room 3 will be giving me good views.
Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You didn't say which direction you will be going, but that doesn't really matter because as I have pointed out under another thread, you won't know which side of the train you will be on until you board. The car can be oriented either way, so room number is irrelevant.

However, having traveled the route, I can say there are great views on both sides of the train. It depends on where you are. There will be times when your room faces a cliff while something beautiful is on the other side, and vice versa. You can always go to the Sightseer Lounge and see out both sides.

On the west side of the Sierra, the best views are on the south side of the train. On the east side, the best views are on the north. In Colorado, Gore and Ruby canyons are on the south side, while Glenwood Canyon and the mountains above Denver is on the north. (North and south being relative to the train's general east-west direction, not an absolute compass point.)

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This page intentionally left blank.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 03-18-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be traveling west bound
Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally speaking the sleeper car is oriented with the deluxe rooms facing forward. On the westbound Zephyr this would put room 3 facing north. The exception to this car orientation would be if a car is pulled from the consist for repairs and the added car is facing the other direction. In the sleeper, the deluxe rooms and the odd numbered standard rooms are on the same side(left).

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can vouch for what reggierail & Mr Toy say about the exceptions. I was in no. 2 in the second sleeper facing north on the westbound Zephyr last year with the deluxe at the "back", but the front sleeper was the other way around. But hey, the scenery is fantastic both sides!
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience, limited to about a couple of dozen trips and sightings, I'd say that cars are only oriented in a particular way 60-70% of the time, if at all. Thus the odds are not great on picking a particular "side" of the train.

A better idea would be to take what was offered and *ask* the attendant when boarding if a different room was available if you'd rather be on the opposite side of the train.

Better still, sit in the lounge car and socialize.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with geoffm here. I worked over the summer (as most of you know) and my most common assignment was the Zephyr. I found that the way the train was arranged...from consist to A/B end didn't seem to ever follow any pattern. Just seemed to be the way it was. Therefore, I agree that the best way to handle it is just to wait and see what you get and if you can change it, if you don't like it.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone, I've been wondering about this myself.
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Side really won't matter that much because you'll want to spend most of the time in the observation car anyway.
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page