RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Zephyr East vs. West pricing

Author Topic: Zephyr East vs. West pricing
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In pricing a June trip on the California Zephyr, I noticed a substantial price differential traveling westard versus eastward. From Emeryville to Washington, DC, 2 adults with standard sleeper was $577.50 taking advantage of current sale promotions. From DC to Emeryville the fare was $802.5, a difference of $225. June 30th was used from DC and Emeryville as departure dates for the one way comparison. The roundtrip fare was $1,462.50.

I assume the obvious answer is the supply/demand factor. I know Amtrak adopted some time ago the fare pricing structure used by airlines (higher during holiday times and shorter reservation time) to increase their bottom line.

A second option for us is to fly one way, rail the other. At a $225 difference, the choice is easy. Comments are welcome.

Russell in Va

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fares are based on how much space is available on any particular train. Try a day or two earlier or later and the price difference could favor the other direction of travel.
I prefer travel west bound on the Zephyr.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Regggie. I found out last year that sleeper fares not only vary with the season, but also with different days of the week. I saved $50 last year on the Starlight by returning a day later than originally planned.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto. The price difference one or two days
earlier or later can be double.

Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I can't resist this, but Mr Toy - did you spend more than that $50 you saved on a hotel room for the extra night, plus food etc.?!?!?

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geoffm:
Sorry, I can't resist this, but Mr Toy - did you spend more than that $50 you saved on a hotel room for the extra night, plus food etc.?!?!?

Geoff M.

Nope. I was staying with family which costs nothing. I actually didn't realize I was going to save money on my ticket until my mother persuaded me to stay an extra day. I then got a fare quote for the revised dates and learned of the savings.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also found that fares can change within a day or two. I have checked on fares the same day and found them to change with the same itiniery.

What I found unusual was the exact same departure days had the price difference.

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page