TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » CZ Question

Author Topic: CZ Question
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm going to be taking the CZ east from Sac to Salt Lake City. Can somebody tell me what to expect scenery-wise. I'm anticipating some decent scenery through the Sierra's, but what about between Reno and Salt Lake City? Both east and west?

Also, can anybody tell me what the weather in SLC is like this time a year?

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CZ is one of the prettiest routes in the AMTRAK system, especially the part from SAC to SLC -- I assume by "this time of year" you mean now (next couple weeks?) -- obviously the Sierras will have plenty of snow still, so it should be a very pretty trip, especially over Donner Summit. You will have a spectacular view of Donner Lake and the High Sierras.

East of Reno the scenery is much less spectacular (but still pretty, in my mind), as it is mostly desert, however, if you are traveling east, most of that will be after dark anyway.

I can't speak much about the weather in SLC this time of year, but maybe someone on this board who lives in the area can tell you....

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 03-21-2003).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Alexander
Member # 1909

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Alexander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to the library and check out "Rail Ventures" by Jack Swanson, or if that's not available, "USA By Rail" by John Pitt. They tell you plenty of what's to see along the way. I never take a trip without doing that! I bought a copy of Swanson's book off Ebay and photocopy the route I'm taking and bring it along. Can't order it in stores anymore.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't want to fork out the cash for a book, there are free CZ route guides here:
http://www.trainweb.com/cgi-bin/top/tw_do.cgi?routes/route_5.htm

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page