RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Did Amtrak Stop...

Author Topic: Did Amtrak Stop...
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putting those mailcars and railroaders on the back of some of their overnight Western Trains.
The last two times I've seen the Eagle it hasn't had anything but a baggage car and peoples cars.
Frankly I hope Amtrak stops that because it takes away from getting that good shot out the back of the train.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak "Express" shipments are being phased out because the enterprise wasn't making money as they hoped. Amtrak will continue to haul mail, as that is profitable.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 1400 and 1500 series mail cars were taken out of service. Amtrak is currently using some baggage cars to handle mail along with the roadrailers.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Chief has been haulin' the mail lately, and the latest time I saw it there were at least five ExpressTrak cars on it, including about sixteen RoadRailers.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MHC's are out of service? why is this, and for how long? I heard they were phasing out the roadrailers...but I guess they have to replace the MHC cars now.
Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I took my trip, The Empire Builder, Capitol ltd., Silver star all had MHCs on the end. The Star's was the shortest, IIR. The Empire Builder had the most.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vincen47,
I believe the MHCs were the suspects (and culprits?) in a few minor derailments in the last few months. Their speed was reduced to a max of about 60MPH on CSX and maybe NS as well, but I'm not sure where that stands now.

CG96,
Glad to hear it! They really are nice cars, and it'd be a shame to lose them.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of the 1400 and 1500 series MHC are out of service. They had been suspect of causing some derailments. After some testing it was found that empty cars were losing a large percentage of contact with the rails. There are cars stranded around the country...I know that there is one in Toledo that has not turned a wheel in quite some time and is just sitting there. There is currenty no plan of action for these cars.
Amtrak is currently using some of the Express Track cars and baggage cars to move the mail

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page