RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak is to Begin Using Reardon Metal

Author Topic: Amtrak is to Begin Using Reardon Metal
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read an article that says Amtrak will begin using Reardon Metal for its rails in the northeast corridor. Taggart Transcontental has been using it for years, but no other railroad has so far.

What do you think of this?

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not familiar with Reardon or Taggart. Do they have political ties?
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously Mr. Konstantin has been reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. The hero capitalist, Henry Reardon, invented a metal harder than steel that was used by the heroine capitalist, Dagny Taggart, for a new line of her railway, Taggart Transcontinental. I do hope that no railway company would consider using Henry Reardon's fictional metal, after all Amtrak has enough problems running on real metal.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad to see that someone understood my comments posted on April Fool's Day. Thank you Royaltrain. Yes Mpalmer, there is political ties. The book is an interesting story about the government interfering by helping people who consume more than they are willing to produce.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Konstantin, the joke is on you since you apparently posted at 12.51pm - long after the noon deadline for April Fools!!!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffDavis
Member # 1312

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeffDavis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never heard of a noon deadline. Geoff m is just a poor sport.

------------------

Posts: 10 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Grin* Maybe that's just a UK thing then. You have to do your April Fool by noon else you're the fool.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think it pretty much depends on what time zone the poster is in and what time zone the forum clock is in . . .
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
I have not heard of the noon deadline either. I was just having some fun for April Fool's Day, and did not intend to offend anybody. Maybe I am the fool!

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not know of any joke deadline either, but obviously did not catch the reference.

I expected to see more plausible jokes, such as Amtrak ordering "new" SDP40F's from some old blueprints located in a long forgotten file cabinet at headquarters, or maybe aquiring some retired cabooses from museums to help ease the space crunch...

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to make sure that *I'm* not the fool, I looked it up.
http://www.2camels.com/destination44.php3
http://www.auburn.edu/~kerrlin/AprilFool.html
http://www.spub.ksu.edu/ISSUES/v100/SP/n122/ap-TacoLibertyBell-9.html

And, just for a laugh http://www.thehumorarchives.com/humor/0000382.html

Geoff M.

Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Geoffm, it appears you are correct. Historically, the fooling was supposed to end by noon. In the United States, I don't think that is observed anymore. At least I, nor some others on this posting do not know of it. Unfortunately, many holidays and traditions lose some, or all of their meanings over time. Christmas to most Americans is now only a time of snowmen and Santa Claus, something that really annoys me, but that is another story.

Perhaps we should get back to the tradition of the fools to stop by noon.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mpalmer writes:
Not familiar with Reardon or Taggart. Do they have political ties?

No, mp, they have wooden ties!

- - - - - The Chief

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page