TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Long Distance Bias

Author Topic: Long Distance Bias
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 13 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seems to be an unfair bias towards The Long Distance trains here. How about some discussion on some of the short and medium distance trains? Particular the California Corridors anybody?

The long distance trains are grrreeeat and I hope every one of them stay around forever, but remember that its trains like the Pacific Surfliners, Northeast Corridors, Capitols, and San Joaquin Joaquins that are the staple of the passenger rail system. They make Amtrak not only a fun way to travel, but also a very convenient way as well.

We really take these trains for granted. So, lets give them all some props, ehh!

Any Valley to Bay Area travelers out there? Lets here it from our SoCal commuters out there!

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have traveled often on the San Joaquins. In fact next month I have a group traveling from Bakersfield to Emeryville with a bus connection to Pier 35. After a cruise and tour we will return from Oakland to Bakersfield on the San Joaquin after riding the Starlight from Seattle. I travel often to Fresno, Sacramento and the Bay area from Bakersfield.

Reggie

------------------

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 04-02-2003).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too enjoy traveling on the California short- and medium-haul corridor trains, and I enjoy both the "California cars" and the new Surfliner cars. On my 1999 trip, I rode the San Joaquin from Stockton to B'field, and the only problem was the door at the front of my car (just ahead of the upper-level table I was sitting at) had some kind of problem, and had to be wired open the whole trip -- awful NOISY!!!!!!

Last summer I rode the Pacific Surfliner from L.A. to San Diego and back -- great cars, and I especially like the electrical outlets at each seat, so I can plug in my video camera and not have to rely on rechargeable batteries (most of my "3-hour" rechargeable batteries last about 45 minutes!!)

I have not had an oportunity to ride the Capitols yet. The Cascade Talgo trains are also nice, in my opinion.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken Northeast Corridor service several times, to Washington DC and Boston. Unlike the long distance trains, it is faster to take these trains than to drive. It takes us about 3.5 to 4 hours to drive to DC, but the train will get us there in 2 hours and change. It's a fun, comfortable, convenient trip.
Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My wife and I will be on the Surfliner to San Diego for the first time this May 9.

Our choice was to spend a day in LA after arriving on the Chief and waiting on the Sunset departure, or spend the day in San Diego.

We chose San Diego. :-)

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious. On several different weekdays during the past year or so, I've taken the 11:10 a.m. Pacific Surfliner from L.A. to various points south.

The train has been virtually empty on every trip. On three occasions, in fact, I was literally the only passenger in the car.

Since I'm accustomed to the trains on the NEC (which are always packed to the rafters), the emptiness of the Pacific Surfliners seemed surprising. Are the Surfliners ever truly crowded?

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ride on the Surfliner every chance I get when I visit California. Last time I got on board I was very disappointed by how dirty the windows were.

On this particular trip I took the Coast Starlight from LA up to San Luis Obispo and, on my return, the Surfliner from Santa Barbara back to LA.

Even though the Coast Starlight was built way back in the 70's, the windows were very clean. The windows on the Surfliner, on the other hand, were very, very dirty.

Seems to me that the windows on trains, both long and short haul, should be kept immaculate. This is not to discredit the awesome design of the Surfliner with its spacious bathrooms, plentiful outlets, ergonomic seats and sensible stairways. But clean windows do make a world of difference.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 04-04-2003).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
Since I'm accustomed to the trains on the NEC (which are always packed to the rafters), the emptiness of the Pacific Surfliners seemed surprising. Are the Surfliners ever truly crowded?

I've been on both weekday and weekend Surfliners that have been pretty full. The most crowded have been northbound trains leaving Solana Beach on Sundays, late afternoon/early evening, when there's been horse racing at Del Mar...I've seen standees until Irvine or even Santa Ana.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on the Surfliners several times, and the morning and evening ones tend to be more crowded. The midday & afternoon ones usually are not.

I try to use Business Class even though I don't think I EVER saw the video equipment working. It must have been stolen immediately after it was installed, and never replaced. They got rid of the "Temporarily Not Available" stickers as this must be a permanent change.

I've been lucky; I've never had really dirty windows or lame doors; recently they toned down much of the on-board "Disney-like" announcements too.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most of the afternoon trips are just a way to get the equipment from one end to the other and then it becomes one of the crowded trains. That 11:10a departure, if I'm not mistaken, becomes the 3:10pm departure NB from San Diego that connects So Cal to the Chief in LA, or the 4:00pm dep that goes all the way to SBA and connects the late-birds to the Chief in Fullerton. Both those trains are almost always packed by the time they leave Oceanside. If they have to deadhead equipment, why not make a few bucks? Those mid-day trains DO though fill up on Summer weekends and holidays. Remember though: I believe there are a total of 11 Roundtrips on th Surfliners. Of course not all of them are going to be full.

I have had times though that I've been in Business Class when it was almost empty. Business Class just doesn't seem to be as much of a catch out here in California. Anybody have statistics? A lot of people don't want to pay 11 extra dollars on a 15 to 20 dollar ticket! For what? About five extra inches of leg room (yes, pathetically I actually measured) and snacks that seem to be picked clean unless your on the first train out. Plus, these ameneties are nice if your traveling long distance, but for ten to fifteen extra dollars, I can wait the two or three hours and by a burger and fries for that much. I'd be curious to see if this amenity would do any better on the 4 to 6 hour San Joaquin trips.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve D
Member # 2344

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trax, I don't think there is bias only for LD trains as it might seem to you. I don't believe that any of us want to lose ANY trains/routes of any length. I certainly don't! I think that perhaps more of the folklore of train travel resides in the LD trains, and it is those that seem to be suggested for the chopping block. The LD trains provide the national link and truly make Amtrak a national passenger rail "network." You are fortunate, I guess, to live where you have access to those frequent service short routes that connect to large hubs that in turn connect with cross-country trains. Many (maybe most) of us live where we have no local Amtrak service and often have to drive (gladly) as much as 350 miles to board a train that might have one daily departure (i.e. Texas Eagle, Sunset Limited, Crescent). My wife and I do this all the time and we have traveled over 26,000 miles on many Amtrak routes (long and short) in the last 4 years and pray we can ride many more miles in the years to come. If any of these trains go away, then train travel for many of us is history. Consider yourself very fortunate.
Posts: 7 | From: Shreveport, LA, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooooh, yeah, Empire Corridor service is really something to brag about. Here are the plusses:
1. There are trains running.
2. The trains which run do so in a safe, reliable, and efficient manner.
3. I can watch them without driving an appreciable distance.
4. Some of the cars even have lettering on the outside.
5. They might eventually run higher speeds one of these days.
In short, long distance trains get the discussion from me because they are interesting. The last time I saw an Empire Service train I thought was unique was June 2, 2002.
I love New York!
I'm also pure, mostly.

[This message has been edited by Amtrak207 (edited 04-28-2003).]

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've ridden the Surfliner many times and it's an excellent short-distance run. Two of the trains almost qualify as "long distance" because they go all the way from San Diego to San Luis Obispo (over 300 miles). The run is fast, has great scenery, the train is almost always on time, and the new Surfliner cars are very comfortable. I've ridden both Business Class and coach, and would have to recommend the latter. You get roughly the same amount of space and the same comfortable seat. Business Class isn't worth your money.

As for the empty trains, the midday ones typically are. The ones in the mornings and late afternoons can get very full - I've had trouble finding seats before. Races at Del Mar and Angels games in Anaheim can make the midday trains full as well.

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't ride Business Class for the space. Or the non-working video. Or the snacks.

I ride it because there are 80% fewer screaming brats or obnoxious teens in Business Class because most parents don't want to spring for the extra dough. This comment is not meant to be anti-family, but it is anti-screaming brat. However..the lack of "kid noise" is offset by more cell phone yakkers, but that is not nearly as grating.

I guess it is somewhat unrealistic to expect a relatively quiet journey...I am not bothered by diesel horns, track noise, opening/closing doors etc. because that all comes with the package.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page