RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hiawatha Schedule

Author Topic: Hiawatha Schedule
VANHANDEL
Member # 851

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for VANHANDEL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In looking at the new Hiawatha schedule, why is running time southbound from Sturtevant to Chicago one and a half hours vs. only 59 minutes northbound??

Is CP doing heavy maintenance on the southbound main???

[This message has been edited by VANHANDEL (edited 06-07-2001).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen that schedule yet, but is there a service stop, or (time consuming)RoadRailer drop-off (if it hauls 'em)somewhere on the southbound?
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Eric said
"I haven't seen that schedule yet, but is there a service stop, or (time consuming)RoadRailer drop-off (if it hauls 'em)somewhere on the southbound?"

Why not? Hauling road-railers is one of AMTRAK's ways of covering its costs and making a profit. So what if the paying passengers are inconvenienced!

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't implying at all that RoadRailers are a bad thing. The more, the better! I just wasn't sure if the Hiawatha hauled them, or not. This was just a possible reason for the time of the southbound.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John B. Bredin
Member # 109

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for John B. Bredin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh?!?! I'm looking at the timetable right now, and it shows one hour or slightly more from Chicago to Sturtevant and essentially the SAME from Sturtevant to Chicago. It takes an hour and a half from MILWAUKEE south to Chicago, but it shows the same 1.5 hours to go north CHI-MKE.

To pick some trains randomly:

northbound 333 337 339
CHI 10:20 3:15 5:08
SVT 11:19 4:14 6:13
time 59m 59m 65m

southbound 332 336 340
SVT 8:24 1:24 6:09
CHI 9:29 2:29 7:14
time 65m 65m 65m

By some chance, were you comparing MKE-CHI times with CHI-SVT? There's a 24 mile difference between Sturtevant and Milwaukee, you know.

Posts: 22 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VANHANDEL
Member # 851

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for VANHANDEL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Bredin, I just went back to Amtrak's web page to double check the times...I will make a minor adjustment: 1 hour and 20 minutes southbound vs. 59 minutes northbound.

I still haven't recieved an explanation...Bill Stephens wasn't sure of the reason either.

I can't for the life of me, imagine Amtrak hauling roadrailers on a commuter train!!

TVH

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John B. Bredin
Member # 109

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for John B. Bredin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must not be looking at the same timetable as you. The schedule in the National Timetable booklet effective April 29, 2001 shows for Chicago-Sturtevant 59 minutes for all northbound trains and 1h5m (NOT 1h20m) for all southbounds except #330 southbound which takes 73m.

As to the entire travel time CHI-MKE, it's 1h29m for every train, NORTH and SOUTH, with the exception of the 339 northbound and 330 southbound, which both come in at 1h37m.

Considering that the 330 enters the Chicago metro area after 7am, and the 339 operates in the metro area between 5 and 6PM, the rush hour priority of Metra commuter trains is the most likely explanation of these two exceptions. This also explains why the only outlier to the 59m north/65m south CHI-SVT is #330 southbound -- the train is delayed between Sturtevant and Chicago because Metra has priority between Rondout and Chicago.

Posts: 22 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak pads schedules arriving to final destinations routinely. This allows for a late train to pick up the time to arrive on time.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VANHANDEL
Member # 851

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by reggierail:
Amtrak pads schedules arriving to final destinations routinely. This allows for a late train to pick up the time to arrive on time.
Reggie

VANHANDEL
Member # 851

Rate Member
To everyone involved: Just got off the phone with Amtrak...they had no idea there was a discrepancy in the printed timetable and their web page.

When they asked the help desk, they were informed that the southbound schedule was in deed padded for CP maintenence...

It will remain padded until the work is complete, the revert back to original schedule.

Now, if we can only find out exactly what CP is doing and where??

TVH

Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about this particular train, but I have seen mistakes on Amtrak's schedules in the past. They don't seem to proof-read them very well before posting them on the internet.

I tend to trust the printed schedules, and I am wary about the schedules on the internet.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VANHANDEL
Member # 851

Rate Member
I will be getting a full report on CP track maintenance between Sturtevant and Chicago this weekend(6/16/01)...will post what I find out. TVH
VANHANDEL
Member # 851

Rate Member
Well, here's the scoop...C.P. is doing heavy tie replacement between Sturtevant and the Illinois border.

Because of the vey limited number of crossovers, it was decided the southbound trains would take the hit on the schedule to allow for meets with northbounds to accomodate the tie gangs(2 gangs working)

TVH

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page