RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » advertising

Author Topic: advertising
newrailman
Member # 2384

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for newrailman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if amtrak advertised on TV it was attract more people to travel on amtrak. Say they put a commercial during american idol. I know alot of people who dont even know about amtrak
Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TV Advertising helps raise awareness, but American Idol? Yuck.
The best by far is word of mouth.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newrailman
Member # 2384

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for newrailman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like word of mouth too but with a commercial they can spice it up a bit
Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with advertising is that it costs a lot of money, especially in a venue as popular as "American Idol." And although I would agree with the saying that "it takes money to make money," by now we all know that it is impossible for Amtrak to make money let alone break even.

The thing I need to ask you is what exactly do you want to accomplish by advertising? I think you said "raise awareness." What sort of awareness would you like to raise? That Amtrak is, for the most part, transporting 70's-era trains with bathroom doors that don't lock properly. Or that many of Amtrak's roadbeds are shot to hell by the freight trains?

Perhaps you'd like to remind people of how good the food is in the dining car or how the waiters can pour coffee into your cup from two feet high without missing a beat. Perhaps you'd like to make the aware of the happy hours in the cafe car where you can get two margaritas or whiskey sours for the price of one.

I think the problem here is that whatever Amtrak promises, it is expected to deliver and its inability to do so was the reason they got rid of their "satisfaction guaranteed" program.

Amtrak is amazing because it somehow manages to keep its 30,000 mile network running for about the same amount of money it costs to run the 97-mile Bay Area Rapid Transit System. Amtrak is also an outstanding means of transportation because it is able to get a passenger from A to B for less energy than it would take to to propel him that distance on a motorcycle.

If people were "aware" of the realities that Amtrak faces, they probably would avoid it even more than they do now and that would be a real problem. Or maybe they would write their congressman and have them vote Amtrak more money so that they would become the sort of transportation system that you'd want to make fancy ads about.

Amtrak does a great job with the little it has and it has so little money that it can barely keep enough trains on the tracks to accommodate the amount of people who want climb aboard.

So then, once again, I ask you, exactly what kind of "awareness" do you want to promote by your hypothetical ad on American Idol? Tell us what you would say to the American people.

On second thought, you might have an idea there: Let's film the next episode of "American Idol" in the observation car of the Southwest Chief!

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 04-08-2003).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newrailman
Member # 2384

Rate Member
You have very good points there Chucky. I think it would raise awareness that there are long distance trains in the US. I asked five of my friends the other day if they knew if there were long distance trains in the US and only 1 knew there were. I know the trains and the service usally suck b ut its the experiance of watching the country-side and the beauty of nature. And alot of people prefure the long senic route compared to a plane or a highway. And alot of people dont want to go on a plane now-a-days with the war with Iraq and all. I think amtrak should advertise not the train or the service but the beauty of riding a train watching the mountins and country side roll by you. lol about your idea about American Idol. It dosent have to be American Idol I was just using it as a example.

[This message has been edited by newrailman (edited 04-09-2003).]

Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when they had some advertising budget, Amtrak ran some beautiful commercials which emphasized the trip itself.

"See America from Sea Level" was, I believe, their super tag line. Would like to see that one revived.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many Americans, as ignorant as it may seem, have no idea that the train is an option. For example, I mentioned to my doctor that I was taking a trip, and of course, the reply that followed was "What time is your flight?". I said, "Oh no, I'm taking Amtrak." Believe it or not, he said "Oh, I didn't know that was around anymore".
I feel that simple ads could raise awareness. No false claims, no hype. They could ask "Have somewhere to go?...Have you considered the train?, followed by 1-800 Amtrak and/or the web site address.
Of course, a 10 second blip on the TV or a billboard ad won't solve all of Amtrak's problems, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt.

Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassrr
Member # 1834

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for cassrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before Amtrak begins an advertising campaign to solicit new riders it should remedy the woes we current riders endure. Many times I have encouraged friends to join me on Amtrak trips only to have them leave annoyed and disgusted with late trains, inoperable and dirty equipment, and surly employees. It's hard to put a good face on a train that picks you up three hours late and continues to lose more time before arriving at your destination. And of course that kind of advertising gets around quicker than any media slogan or jingle. Amtrak needs to clean up its act before it loses the riders it has, much less add to a list of disappointed first time passengers.
Posts: 21 | From: Huntington, WV USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cassrr:
Before Amtrak begins an advertising campaign to solicit new riders it should remedy the woes we current riders endure.

As a frequent LD train rider, I could not agree with you more. Rode the SWC Chi-Lax ten days ago in coach; those assigned to the Lax coach looked out through unwashed, dirty windows; none of the restrooms in the three coached were cleaned enroute, BUT the train operated almost on time and the dining car staff was exceptional, so it's not all bad and things do seem to be improving if ever so slowly. We, as fans, need to consider how the general traveling public views their experience on Amtrak.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not mean to disparage Amtrak by my comments. By calling attention, for example, to locks on the long hauls that fail, I was making an observation, not a criticism. Anybody that occupies the bathroom of an Amtrak train should keep a wary eye on the its lock as it ever so gradually opens with the undulating motions of the train.

I recall a trip a couple years ago on the Southwest Chief when I opened the door to a bathroom only to discover a gorgeous woman assuming a classical "crouching Aphrodite" pose on the can. Her shreaks are still with me to this day but, looking back, I must say I find it kinda funny.

David Gunn, the president of Amtrak recently commented in the Washington Post that "You'd think that after 170 years of railroading, you could have a crapper door that works," Gunn said. And he was talking about the lock on the Acella train, not the 70's-era long hauls we all know and love.

And as far as clean bathrooms are concerned. There is a sign posted in the bathrooms that say that people who use them should clean up after themselves. This sign is not there for decoration. If people take responsibility for cleaning up after themselves (and others) the bathrooms will stay clean for the duration of the trip. The attendants can only do so much.

About the service. I almost got into a fight with a fellow passenger on the Surfliner recently when he started to pick on an attendant who was checking tickets. Post Sept. 11, the job of the attendants have gotten much more intense because they now have to be sure that everybody is properly ticketed and seated in the right place. I am convinced, after taking the long-haul trains exclusively for over five years, that there are some people who should not set foot on a train.

Amtrak is not for people who do not have flexible schedules. Amtrak is totally at the mercy (with the exception of the East Coast) of the freight companies. Theoretically Amtrak has priority over freight and the freight trains can be heavily fined for not giving right of way. However, there are times when the freight trains would rather be fined than give right of way. I don't believe that this implies that the people who run freight are contemptuous of Amtrak. It's just a business decision. However, it is my feeling that freight can handle an eight hour delay much better than human beings.

Anyway, I think anybody who takes Amtrak needs to be taught some survival techniques. For example, they need to know that having a blanket in coach is a good idea and that having a book to read is prudent. Sleeping pills are a great idea to get through the night. People need to know that the cafe car does not take credit cards and that they should have cash on hand. They need to understand that tipping in the dining car is considered civilized behavior.

I could go on and on but the point is that Amtrak is necessary for our national security and it is a superior means of transportation (worthy of advertising on American Idol) because it is the only way to properly see this great country of ours.

Amtrak's service is, in my opinion, fantastic. The technicians who keep those trains running are very clever. They do stuff with bailing wire and duct tape that is worthy of a nobel prize.

Those of us who love trains need to praise the work of Amtrak to the stars because they deserve it. And we need to be forgiving of their occasional mistakes.

For example, I forgive Amtrak for taking my luggage off in Kansas City instead of Albuquerque. Mistakes happen.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak DOES run TV ads in the NYC area. However, it is only for the Acela service. It is definitely targeted towards the business traveller, emphasizing the comfort of the first class/business class cars, ability to hold meetings, use laptop/cel phone to get work done en route, and use the cafe car for networking. The ads are very sleek and attractive. As much as I'd like to see Amtrak advertise LD service (like with the old "All Aboard America" campaign), it's good to see Amtrak promoting a modern service that can match wits with the northeast air shuttles or driving.
BTW...I just remembered that AutoTrain ads are also occasionally shown on TV, especially in the fall/early winter.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been seeing Amtrak ads promoting the long-distance trains and highlighting their current 25% off/50% off fare promotion running during "Jeopardy!" here in L.A. I assume they're finding it more economical (in term of amount of money spent vs. potential train passengers reached) to buy local TV advertising time in the larger markets, rather than buying national ads.
Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about advertising to raise operating capitol as has been so successfully done in major cities on the sides of transit buses? Why waste all that potential advertising space? Why not MAKE some money instead of spending it?

A lot of revenue can be raised from that form of advertising. If nothing else how bout huge ads for riding Amtrack depicting a happy couple smiling while enjoying wine and fine dining as America passes by their window?

There is no escaping advertising in this world. Seeing GOT MILK? On the side of a passing train while waiting at a crossing wouldn't bother me if it means Amtrak will stay in business.

[This message has been edited by Room Service (edited 04-09-2003).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last i heard from Amtrak employees is that they got rid of the marketing department.

------------------

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak did some great radio spots propmoting their "Buy One Get One" promo a few months ago. They were clever, catchy, and fun. I think they did a great job.

I seem to recall last year someone on this or another board who worked for an advertising firm. He indicated that they were working out some sort of deal to help Amtrak do some low cost, high profile, ads. I think the "BOGO" radio spots may have been the result of that.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still one of my classic advertising lines:
"Wouldn't you rather be in one of our cars?"

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite was the Amtrak newspaper ad run briefly during gas shortages in the 70's showing a picture of a small rail station and the line: 'Our stations will be open this summer'.

I heard the Carter administration asked to have the ads discontinued because they were contributing the panic mentality that was blamed for lines at gas stations and hoarding.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's national TV spots invariably focus on price and discounts ("2-for-1," "25% off," or whatever).

That's fine if you already know it's possible to take a train from, say, Chicago to Los Angeles.

But as others have noted, most Americans are completely unaware that long and medium distance trains even exist -- let alone which cities they serve.

Granted, Amtrak can't mention every destination in a 30 or 60 second commercial. But it definitely wouldn't hurt to list the top 20, along with the line, ". . . and 480 other Amtrak towns and cities coast to coast."

If you hope to entice a potential passenger into buying a ticket to a particular destination (or for that matter, any destination), you first have to make him aware that some of your trains actually stop there.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 04-27-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Advertising something that someone doesn't know about is better than advertising over and over again for something that you know so much about(McDonalds).
I see McDonalds commercials every comm. break.
I like to see Amtrak put their commercials on the air because its something new that I haven't seen before.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page