RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SWC Experience

Author Topic: SWC Experience
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rode the SWC to Chicago out of LA 4/10 and thought I'd share a couple of comments:

Biggest change was that the long stop west of KC for handling mail/express has been eleminated.

On time or early at service stops, 45 minutes early into KC, 30 minutes early into Chicago even with a 45 minute delay at Fort Madison waiting for two barges to clear the swing bridge. Early arrival at KC allowed enough time to check out the impressive restoration of the station.

Two coach attendants for three cars instead of one coach attendant for three cars as was the case on Oct. and Jan. trips.

All sleeper space sold out before departure, no chance to upgrade on board; most coach space sold.

New menus with daily dinner special drew favorable comments from passengeres and prices are lower.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any 90 mph running on the trip? Any semaphores still in use? Did you have a guide on board in New Mexico? If so, was the lounge crowded during his talk?

Thanks.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally speaking, much of the route is 90mph....this was covered at
some length in a thread in the forum recently. If I can find it, I'll
refer you to it. The 90mph stretches are west of Fort Madison to KC,
Hutchinson KS to Trinidad CO, and west of Dailies NM...except for
standard curve and other restrictions. I noticed semaphores between
Raton and Albuquerque. There was a guide in the lounge from Albq to
Gallup and because of the length of his narration, people come and go,
so seats open up even though it is crowded. I'd get a seat in the
lounge before leaving Albq. If you have time at Albq during the
servicing of the train, and if you like ice cream, go to the creamery
across the street from the bus station. You walk to the street, turn
right and walk to the first corner (1/2 block) and cross the street,
so it is very close by. If you want something more substantial, there
is a deli nearby as well...pass the creamery on your LEFT** and turn
left at the next corner, it will be on your left, up the street.

** that is left, not right, as I said in my email to you, sorry.

Other than that, can't think of anything else to add...it's a good operation. BNSF dispatchers keep the train moving right along...can't think of one time we waited for a freight. Oh, if you're traveling coach, buy a neck pillow.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you had a good trip! Those BNSF DSs have really done good work on getting the Chief through. On my latest trip last Sept., we only had to wait for a freight once, but I believe we had gotten into single track territory.
The on-board guide in the lounge on my latest trip was having microphone problems, so I wasn't able to hear the commentary. I had heard it several times before, so wasn't too dissapointed, but it's interesting to listen to.
Due to #3 running about an hour late into ABQ last Sept., I was able to visit that icecream shop. It offers a good selection of flavors, and was a nice diversion.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like things have improved on the Southwest Chief. Since David Gunn has come on board, there continue to be more favorable comments that keep appearing here. Let's hope they keep it up.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have the travel guide's narrative been piped in on channel 3 or 4 throughout the train, yet? Or is it still only available in the lounge?

15 days and a wake up until train time!
(Austin-Milwaukee-Williams Junction-San Diego-Austin)

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
No, the narrative is only heard in the lounge car unless the guide forgets to turn the switch to "local", which does happen, but is quickly corrected by crew members.

rick

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I rode the SWC in 1996, there was a video program between ABQ and GLP in addition to a Native American guide. If I recall, there was some problem with the guide's microphone, so all we got on that trip was the video.

Do they still have the video?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
yes, they show the video as well.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page