RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Snacks in Sleepers?

Author Topic: Snacks in Sleepers?
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Amtrak still provide fruit, snacks and soft drinks for sleeping car passengers? If so, what do they serve? Does this vary by train? We'll be on Capitol Ltd, Southwest Chief and the Cardinal.

Thanks.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question...
Not sure why, but it depends on the route and or train. Complementary beverages are consistant, though.
I've be given a "bedtime sweet" on the Capitol limited. It was a big cookie, I believe chocolate chip. All the soft drinks/coffee/juice you want during the entire trip, but they do run out of stuff.

Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beverages, yes. Usually an assortment of juices, bottled water and coffee. Depending on how diligent the attendent is, sodas are usually available, too, but they tend to disappear fast.

I've never had a sleeper that had complimentary muchies in the sleeping car. Of course, the Starlight's Pacific Parlor Car has its complimentary breakfast bar with rolls, muffins and cereal.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, the chocolate chip cookies are a thing of the past.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
Beverages, yes. Usually an assortment of juices, bottled water and coffee. Depending on how diligent the attendent is, sodas are usually available, too, but they tend to disappear fast.

What is available depends upon what is delivered to the sleeper by the commissary prior to departure from origin and how considerate the passengers are enroute. When they take multiple cans/bottles to be sure they get their share, supplies can run short since restocking is not done enroute.

Since Amtrak has stopped providing that bed time sweet if you find one on your pillow it is because the attendant went to the store and spent his own money. I have heard of an employee doing that and it was the single most appreciated touch, believe it or not.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many Amtrak riders remember the "Track pak?" (unsure of the spelling). Sleeping car passengers were provided with a container of edibles and a small bottle of wine. A very good idea that disappeared long ago.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember them fondly. I still have several wine glasses with the Empire Builder insignia etched in them. They came with a bottle of wine that also had the EB insignia, specially bottled for Amtrak. I didn't keep the wine, I drunk it. Here's lookin up your old address.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page