RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What Does This Number Mean on My Ticket?

Author Topic: What Does This Number Mean on My Ticket?
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have booked a trip on the Coast Starlight. Two of my children, my wife, and I are travelling from Los Angeles to Portland in a family bedroom. We are then travelling from Portland to San Francisco (Technically, Emerryville) on coach, and then coach again back to Los Angeles.

On each of our tickets except the first, it says "Reservd Coach" (sic). On the first ticket at that same spot, it says "15/1431"

Apparently, this is a code word for a family bedroom. Do any of you know what the numbers mean?

Thank you

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 15 is the room number and the 1431 is the car number. Next to the doors of the cars are little windows with four digit numbers, that's the car number (not the painted one). The first two digits are the train number (train 14), the second two is a kind of position in the train which is not sequential.

This link shows the layout of the sleeping cars. I believe room 15 is the family (F) room. http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

You'll be assigned a car number for the coach seating when you get to the train.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Geoffm. It makes sense now that you explained it. That is a nice map shown on your link.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The family bedroom is also referred to as bedroom 15. The 1431 is the consist number of the second sleeping car on the Northbound Coast Starlight. There will be one other sleeping car(1430) between your car and the Pacific Parlour car.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought the family room was room "F" but "15" makes sense because it is just past 13 and 14. The handicapped room is room "H" and the deluxe rooms are lettered "A" through "E".

I was a little surprised to learn that sleeping cars are numbered from the diner towards the locomotive, rather then front to rear. But I guess that makes sense, too, since there may be two or three sleepers. the one closest to the parlor car will always be 1430, which would come in handy for crews giving directions to lost passengers.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate you folks explaining all of this. This is a topic I have not seen come up before.

I was hopoing we would be in the first sleeper, but any sleeper is fine. Unlike most people, I like to hear the locomotive whistles blowing throughout the night. Farther back in coach, we usually can't here it. I hope we will not be too far back to hear the whistles.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember correctly, you WILL be in the first sleeper, immediately behind the crew car, unless they've added 1432. It's a nice place to be since there will be little foot traffic through the car. Hearing the loco horn will not be a problem.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rmiller:
If I remember correctly, you WILL be in the first sleeper, immediately behind the crew car, unless they've added 1432.

The Starlight has three sleepers most times I've seen it. It had only two for our trip in March. Must vary with the traffic as the coaches do. Yesterday's Starlight had three sleepers and five coaches and a huge crowd on the Salinas platform getting on (mostly coach passengers).

I haven't had any trouble hearing the horn from any of the three sleeping car positions.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page