RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Upgrading to first class...

Author Topic: Upgrading to first class...
JudAnnS
Member # 2419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JudAnnS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! I was just wondering about the cost of upgrading a coach ticket to first class after boarding the train. I heard that a person could do this if there were any available on that particular train. My questions are: who do you ask, when do you ask and how much less is it to do this way? As I have written in a previous posting, my children and I are planning a trip to Minnesota this summer by way of New Orleans. My husband decided that he didn't want to miss out on any of the fun and now wants to join us for part of the trip! I told him that our tickets were for coach, but I had heard that they can be upgraded. Can anyone tell me how this works? It may be worth working it into our travel budget, especially if I can make it sound like my husbands idea Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posts: 24 | From: Sunrise, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can upgrade on board IF there is a vacancy. But, if you are traveling during the summer, I would not expect that to be the case. Matter of fact, I just used the Southwest Chief rountrip from Chicago to LA and the sleepers were full. You ask the conductor and you can pay with cash or major credit card, the standard discount was 20%, IIRC, although it was as high as 50% during the off season, I heard. I usually ask the conductor when he/she collects the tickets. Frequently, they don't know at that point, but at least they are aware that I'm interested in upgrading. Sometimes conductors disappear between stations. You can find them usually in the lower level of the crew car or less frequently in the diner or lower lever of the lounge car.

To satisfy your curiosity, I would call Amtrak to see if space is available now and what it would cost.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudAnnS
Member # 2419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JudAnnS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I contacted Amtrak and there are rooms availabe. I may just go ahead and reserve two standard rooms side by side since it was available. It was less than getting a family room.
Thanks for the information.

Posts: 24 | From: Sunrise, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a phone call to Amtrak tells you the space is available, you'll get a better price upgrading at the station (if there is a ticket window open). In January I upgraded on the EB at the station for half of what was quoted on Amtrak's phone an hour before I went to the station. Only problem I had was the agent banging on the sleeper door to get the attendant to let me in because he wasn't expecting anyone to be boarding there.
Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudAnnS
Member # 2419

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for JudAnnS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that info. I've been checking online as to the availability of sleeper cars and so far so good. I was going to just go ahead and book the rooms, but after reading the posts that people have written in reply, I figure since the original trip planned was for coach, I'll take the chance of getting a room. If there aren't any available, oh well I've finally convinced my husband that we need to use this experience as an adventure and see where it takes us....he agreed. Thank you again for your post

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page