RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The F40's Live!

Author Topic: The F40's Live!
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night (4/23), i went to the Buffalo-Depew station to catch 49. To my pleasant surprise, the third unit was 316! The best part was when it departed and once again I got to hear the F40 power up. If anyone knows where or why this engine was being moved, I'd love to know. I hope it's not to Beech Grove to be scrapped.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for stepping in your pictures.
My friend tells me she was in Boston to be filmed and on her way to you-know-where for a fitting retirement. You got it, scrap steel. Such a beautiful engine.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-August 17, 2001
Requisecat in pacis

P42DC #53063
Around 2.5 million miles to go

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im sad to hear another F40 is gonna be turned into who knows what..i wish i could get one and hoarde it in my backyard if i HAD a backyard
Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC that was the last active F40 in Amtrak's fleet, just recently returned to them after spending it's last few months leased to the MBTA in Boston. At least its last days were running for Amtrak, albeit not in long distance or NEC service.
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMTK271
Member # 1778

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMTK271   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reported on another forum that it went back on train 40 the night of the 24th.

-Paul

Posts: 24 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night (April 25) I saw Amtrak F40 #400 pulling a Virginia Railway Express train en route to Manassas. VRE has a couple of F40s, leased from Amtrak, I believe, in VRE paint. This may be a new addition to the leased units. It was still wearing Amtrak colors.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode Train #49 on April 23rd, boarded in Schenectady and rode to Buffalo. F40 #316 was indeed the third unit in the consist, though when I boarded, it wasn't running, as I couldn't hear it making any significant noise as it rolled past me. As reported on another forum, it went East on Train #40 the following evening, though my first thought was that it was headed back to the Grove. Of note also, A refurbished Horizon Fleet Coach was deadheading to Chicago on that train as I was seated in the Boston Section and the car host told me, it was a functioning car but was heading back for some kind of work.
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been seeing a number of horizon coaches coming through lately. Sometimes they're in revenue other times not. Are they actually being refurbished or is because they're short on Amfleet II's?
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't heard anywhere that any more Horizon Fleet Coaches are being refurbished, the ones that were refurbished were actually done so for use on the Three Rivers/Pennsylvanian (Back in the "good old days" when the Pennsylvanian went all the way to Chi-Town!). It's likely that these coaches are being used systemwide so its not uncommon to see one on the Lake Shore. I rode in one back in February that wasn't refurbished, it was a bit cramped, was on the Boston Section of the train. On a side note, I took a nice photo this morning of Train #48 in Angola, NY, something that won't be possible with the new schedule if its running on time as it would be through that area before 5am.
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's because there aren't enough amfleet IIs ready for service. Maybe it's because they are being repainted, maybe it's because they freeze up in the winter, and maybe it's because they've deferred maintenance for the last few years. At least lately the rainbow era has been tamed down a bit.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
The "Rainbow Era" as noted has calmed down a bit regarding some of the equipment used on LD trains. Back on February 7th, I rode on the Lake Shore, probably with the widest variety of equipment I've ever seen on a single train, this train had Amfleet II Coaches, 1 Amfleet I Capstone Rebuild Coach, 1 Horizon Fleet Coach, & 1 Amfleet I Metroliner Club Car along with its typical Viewliners and Heritage Diner. #49 last week had a more normal consist, even an Amfleet II Lounge with the Smoking Room, so I can say the equipment shuffling has calmed down quite a bit from last Fall and Winter.
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a ride on the LSL on the 25th and 26th. Each time i only took it BUF to CLE. I took 29 and 30 the rest of the way to CHI. Everything on the LSL's consist was normal except the Amfleet I cafe and dinette. Neither going either way had an Amfleet II lounge. No biggy unless you smoke.
The poor conducter on my way home was on 30 until Toledo. When he go there he found out that there was only 1 guy working 48 so, he got bagged to work 48 to BUF. On a better note, he was probably the nicest conducter i've ever encountered though.

[This message has been edited by Italiancanuck89 (edited 04-29-2003).]

SP5623
Member # 2207

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for SP5623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F 40s are alive and well in the Pacific Northwest. (well kinda)

Amtrak has taken several F 40s and gutted them except for ther electrical and made them cab units for the Cascade Talgo trains that run between Eugene, OR and Vancover B.C. These units still have all the goodies but no prime movers and in some cases no fuel tanks. They are numbered in the 90000s

Shannon

WP LIVES

Posts: 6 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
I'm jealous SP5623. There's nothing left here on the westend of the Empire Corridor. Although we got to enjoy functional F40's longer than most with the Maple Leaf but no more. Now we have the P40's running the ML. Usually 805,806,809,813,810,824, or 831

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page