RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Questions about Orlando

Author Topic: Questions about Orlando
MJA
Member # 13

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I will be arriving at the Orlando Amtrak station Sunday at 4 PM and need to get to the Peabody Hotel which is right across from the Orlando Convention Center. This looks like a fairly long trip on the map. Will there be cabs available? Anyone have any idea about how expensive a cab trip this will be and about how long will it take? How is the trip on train #97 from NY to Orlando? Thanks in advance for your help.
MJ

Posts: 16 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak station is in town; the convention center is south of town, close to the tourist areas. It's not close by, but it's not an unreasonable distance either. I don't know what the cab fares are in Orlando. It'll probably be a 20 to 30 min drive depending on traffic which isn't heavy (by Orlando standards, anyway) on Sunday afternoon unless there is some special event. Hope you don't need to be there by any special time; I've been checking the web and this train has been pretty consistently running late over the past few days.
Our family has taken this train several times to Orlando; coincidentally, we will be on this same train with you, if you are arriving on Sunday May 4. (We will get off in Winter Park which is six miles north of Orlando.) The trip is comfortable but the scenery is unexciting. (A lot of trees, more trees, still more trees... OK, maybe a river here and there.) My favorite scenes out the window are when the tracks parallel a main street through a small town and you get a glimpse of life in that particular town. The draw of this train (and trains 91/92) are the destination, not the scenery. I had a car attendant tell me that he loves this route - "Everyone on by Washington; nobody off until Jacksonville." By the way, I've observed that the coaches are always pretty full on this train; the sleepers are Viewliners with all their peculiarities. Crewmembers are typical Amtrak; most do a pretty good job.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are cabs, if not vans available whenever a train arrives...24X7. I do not recall the name of the van service but, they are right next to the terminal... they will be more than happy to get you to the peabody... 10-15 minutes away. Enjoy!
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to consider taking the train to Kissimmee, FL...
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page