RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak sleeper fares

Author Topic: Amtrak sleeper fares
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I do every year around this time I start plotting rail trips to see various relatives who live in the western U.S. I start out in Toronto, travel to California on various routes, and return to Toronto in about two weeks time. I called Via Rail's North America rail pass desk and booked my sleepers from between 18 Dec to the 2nd of Jan. I was astounded to see how cheap the deluxe bedroom was on the Starlight from Seattle to Los Angeles. Would you believe $375 departing Seattle on the 22nd? Just two days earlier it is priced at $778. This is yield management gone wild. I intend to stop in Maricopa to see my sister in Phoenix, and the deluxe bedroom onward to Jacksonville Fla. on the 29th was only $362. On the other hand, on the 1st of Jan, a deluxe from Jacksonville to New York was over $600 yet a standard was only $148! Via's double bedroom Toronto to Vancouver was $984 (Canadian), and the N.A. railpass was $748 (Canadian). I booked the deluxe bedroom on every long distance Amtrak route (except Jacksonville to New York) as I fear these bargains will soon disappear should I wait any longer.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The closer you get to travel time the higher the costs. I am doing a trip like yours traveling amtrak and via, cost at the time was over 1200us when booked in jan. the same trip is now over 2300us with 2 weeks still to go. Hope this helps.
Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Royaltrain,
I'm interested in getting the North American Pass for this fall. How does one calculate the price of a lower berth when used in conjuntion with the pass?
Thanks
Scott

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I *think* all you need do is pretend to book a sleeper on the Amtrak website (www.amtrak.com), add accommodation, and use the figure given for accommodation (it's listed seperately from the ordinary rail fare). That is for Amtrak, who only do whole rooms rather than lower bunks. VIA is another story which I haven't read.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Sutton:

I have tried to figure out how Via calculates the sleeper charge in conjunction with the North America Rail Pass. One would think that you simply subtract the rail portion from the total sleeper charge to find the sleeper-only charge, however it doesn't work that way. You have to call Via and speak to Norman Murphy at their Moncton reservations office. Speak to no one else! Trust me on this, Norman is the only Via employee who can provide accurate information on how the Pass works and what the sleeper charges will be. My double bedroom Toronto to Vancouver is in fact $984, yet I was quoted over $1200 by some Via employee who could not figure out how the system operates. I don't know if you live in Canada, but if you do make sure that you are not charged the GST for either the rail pass or the sleeper charge. Again for reasons I can't figure out, the pass and sleeper tickets are GST exempt (but some uninformed Via employees will try to charge it). Of course I believe U.S. residents are exempt in any event. I hope you find this information useful.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Royaltrain you are right about Norman Murphy. He helped me with my ticket. He booked all my Via & Amtrak tickets.
Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Royaltrain,
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I'll speak with Norman before purchasing. I hope you have a great trip.
Oh, nope, not in Canada. I'm American but living in the Middle East! Looonnngg way away.
Scott

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page