RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Northbound Eagle sleeper bad-ordered for May 1

Author Topic: Northbound Eagle sleeper bad-ordered for May 1
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.... Our vacation is starting off with some interesting news. I just received a call from Amtrak Vacations, staing that the sleeper on tomorrow's north-bound Eagle was bad-ordered and we could stay in the dorm car or travel in coach. I'll assume the dorm car is the Transition sleeper.

I think I'll get to Austin a little earlier than planned. I don't want that "dorm car" to be full when I get there. I really don't want to ride coach to Chicago.........

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,
I saw the EB Eagle at
Dallas Union Station today minus
the sleeper. Thanks for the heads-up.

It has been running with one sleeper, sometimes two (probably the 421-422 days).
It has had the Sightseer Lounge consistently.

------------------
- - - - -The Chief

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Texas Eagle had no back-up available when the Sunset Limited sleeper died. The Sunset snagged the Eagle's sleeper and the bad-ordered sleeper was attached just behind #22's engines.

I asked them to get us some blankets and decent pillows from the dead sleeper or the Transition, and was denied. I asked to take a room in the Transition, and was denied. I forgot Joy Smith's phone number, so I couldn't appeal to a higher authority.

So I tossed and turned and didn't get any sleep all night long. Right now, I'm tired. Time to go to bed (in my hotel room).

On the upside, Mr Martin (pleeeaaaase WAIT!..... to be seated) was running the diner, so dinner and breakfast was excellent.
More later, if I can log in at the Grand Canyon.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,
Too bad you couldn't make the EB Eagle on Fri 2 May...
It set out a nice (original)California Zephyr half-dome sleeper at Dallas Union Station!
That would have been better than access denied! Of course the half-dome was privately owned/leased, but one can dream...

------------------
- - - - -The Chief

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the first things I intend to do, after winning the lotto, is book one of the half-domes for an "around the west" tour.

Until then, Amtraking and the Alaska RR will have to do.......

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page