RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Switching Sleepers Mid-Trip

Author Topic: Switching Sleepers Mid-Trip
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going from LSE to VAC on the Empire Builder, the only way I could get a family bedroom throughout was to switch from one sleeping car to another in Whitefish, Montana, at about 9 PM. My ticket agent told me he thought it likely the on-board staff would let us stay in our room and put whoever's ticketed for our first room into our second room. Has anyone here ever had this situation? Is it really likely we won't be moved? Another question: On our return trip we are booked into 2 standard sleepers. Is there any chance we might be able to upgrade on board to 2 deluxe sleepers? If we could, would we be charged the full (astronomical) fare, or might we be offered a discount?

[This message has been edited by Tigger (edited 05-04-2003).]

Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your ticket agent may be right, but you could probably help make it more likely by letting your car attendant know of the situation. They have a computerized list of who has reservations for which rooms in their cars. If your attendant can share notes with the other car attendant they may be able to work something out for you. If they do, be sure to give them a little extra tip for the effort. If they can't make it work, I'm sure they will help you carry stuff from one room to the next. The inconvenience of the move will be limited to a few minutes.

As for the upgrade, deluxe sleepers are a relatively scarce commodity, so the probability of two being available is extremely low.

Are there four in your party or three? One deluxe room will sleep three in two beds. The lower bunk is pretty wide.

As for price, in the unlikely event that they do have a deluxe room available they will probably sell it to you for a discount, but it will still likely be substantially higher than a standard room.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once the train pulls out and the family in the next car has "settled into" their room, it could prove difficult to talk them into moving.

So make sure you ask the car attendant about a room swap as you board the train. And then remind him again shortly after that (without being a pain about it, of course).

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 05-02-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigger:
My ticket agent told me he thought it likely the on-board staff would let us stay in our room and put whoever's ticketed for our first room into our second room. Has anyone here ever had this situation?

What are the car numbers involved? If you are initially traveling in a Seattle destined sleeper, you will have to change to a Portland sleeper somewhere enroute, and Whitefish would be a better place to do that than Spokane. The Seattle sleepers are at the headend and the Portland sleeper at the rear, so it is a pain, regardless.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rmiller:
If you are initially traveling in a Seattle destined sleeper, you will have to change to a Portland sleeper somewhere enroute, and Whitefish would be a better place to do that than Spokane.
rick

I'm not following you. I'm not going to Portland. I'm going to Seattle, where we will be put on a Thruway bus to Vancouver.

Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Empire Builder usually has 2 or 3 sleepers. One of the sleepers goes to Portland, the others go to Seattle. What *might* have happened is that you've been booked into the Portland sleeper up til Whitefish, during which time the Seattle sleeper was full. The Seattle sleeper becomes vacant and you can then move into it at Whitefish. You obviously wouldn't want to stay in the Portland sleeper, since you're going to Seattle!

As you're not getting on until La Crosse, the other sleeper might have been occupied before you boarded the train and a family would not be happy about being moved enroute. However, if they board *after* you do, then you might be able to ask the car attendant to swap your rooms over before they board.

Rmiller thought you meant Vancouver, OR, not Vancouver, BC..... at least I hope he's wrong and you've got the right ticket.....?!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rmiller had your itinerary wrong, but he has a point that I did not take into account in my earlier post.

The train splits into two trains at Spokane. Half goes to Portland (along with the lounge car), half to Seattle (which gets the diner). If your original sleeper is bound for Portland you will have to move to a Seattle-bound sleeper later. Your car attendant can sort this all out for you, so don't lose any sleep over getting onto the wrong half of the train.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigger:

I'm not following you. I'm not going to Portland. I'm going to Seattle, where we will be put on a Thruway bus to Vancouver.

I'm sorry, my mistake, I had Vancouver, Washington on the brain.

So, again, if you'll post the space numbers you are assigned for the two segments, it will be easy to tell you if your move will involve walking the length of the train or just from one car to the one next to it if you can't keep your original room.

EB operates with two Seattle sleepers and one Portland sleeper. They are on opposite ends of the train.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I am interpreting my ticket correctly, from LSE to Whitefish, MT, we are in room 15, car 0731. From Whitefish to Seattle, we are in room 15, car 0730. BTW, on the return trip we are in rooms 6 and 7 in car 0830. Are those rooms on the upper level? If so, is there a restroom on that level, or will we have to go downstairs to use the facilities?

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 07xx and 08xx are the train numbers, so you'll be on the Seattle portion of the train. The 30/31 are the car numbers which are adjacent to each other (the Portland sleeper would be 27xx).

Room 15 is the family room which is on the lower deck. There are several restrooms on the lower deck, plus a shower.

Rooms 6 and 7 are on the upper deck but I don't think they're opposite one another, I think they're staggered by one room (room 5 is across from 6; 7 is across from 8). There is one restroom on the upper level. Coffee, juices, and soda are normally available throughout your journey in an alcove at the top of the stairs.

There is another thread on a similar subject: http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/001095.html

...and also pictures of the car layout: http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page