RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A little video

Author Topic: A little video
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a new toy, a digital camera that will shoot short videos. I have uploaded a video of the Coast Starlight to my web space that I shot last week. I haven't had a chance to make a link from my website, yet. I'll give you all a chance to get a sneak preview.

The video is in WMV format, so it requires Windows Media Player 6.0 or higher. It is 2 minutes 10 seconds long and is just under 1.8MB, so if you have a dial-up connection it may take several minutes to download. In that case I suggest you right-click the link and select "Save target as" and download it before viewing.

And here it is... http://members.aol.com/toysontrax/11insalinas.WMV

I hope this works...

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 05-02-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoyed the video. I just acquired 500k internet service on my cable so the video loaded in only a few seconds. It was great seeing trains in California while in Virginia. An excellent way to quickly and visually bring a thought, comment or idea to the Railforum. Good job.

Russell in Va

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It worked just fine on my computer, a quite clear and not too jerky image--well done.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudAnnS
Member # 2419

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for JudAnnS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was too cool! Well done indeed! It came out nice and clear on my pc.
Posts: 24 | From: Sunrise, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy, nice clear video! It's really nice to see an Amtrak Train that looks like a passenger train should look like with no pesky Mail & Express cars on the rear end! Very well done video, now I think I want a video camera now!
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Toy,
Great stuff; I only had to wait five seconds for it to start.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two thumbs up says Buck
5 golden stars.
I loved how when you showed the door to that one sleeper all of a sudden people appear out of no where.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank's all. I'm glad it worked, and I'm glad you liked it.

UncleBuck, at the risk of being too detail oriented, the car door belonged to a coach, not a sleeper. I wanted to get someone opening the door, but I waited and waited with the camera running until it got boring. I began shooting again when people emerged.

If you listened carefully, you could hear radio transmissions from the scanner that was on my belt. I hadn't thought about getting that in my audio track. Next time I'll either turn it up or place it closer to the camera. It was a windy day, so there was a lot of wind noise which garbled the sound.

Technical stuff if anyone is interested: the camera was a Canon S50, which will shoot videos up to three minutes in AVI format. The original was much too large to upload (over 15MB!) so I compressed it in Windows Movie Maker. The original is much clearer, but I can't show you that or I would deplete my web space in a hurry!

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 05-03-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:

UncleBuck, at the risk of being too detail oriented, the car door belonged to a coach, not a sleeper. I wanted to get someone opening the door, but I waited and waited with the camera running until it got boring. I began shooting again when people emerged.

Very nice clip....I think my S30 will do that, too...I'll have to play around with it.

re that delay in opening the coach door....probably because that coach attendant was responsible for two cars and he opened the other one first. During the delay, imagine him hustling to the other car and the folks wanting to get off doing a slow burn.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page