RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Electrical Outlets in Sleepers?

Author Topic: Electrical Outlets in Sleepers?
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any electrical outlets inside either family or standard bedrooms? If so, are they all-purpose ones, or the sort that is labeled to be used for an electric razor only?

------------------
Cindy

Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Standard bedrooms, in my personal experience, have general purpose 110v outlets. I believe that is also true of deluxe bedrooms.

Byt the way, don't be mislead by that "shavers only" tag. It is only a hotel ruse to keep people from plugging in other equipment in the wet environment. (Which is, of course, not a bad thing.) There is no such thing as shavers-only power.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
having had just returned from a trip from chicago to seattle in a standard sleeper, I will suggest that you bring a short extension cord. The indentation around the outlet made plugging both my scanner and iBook power supplies very difficult. I ran to the IGA at the Havre stop, bought a $2 cord and that made all the difference. Plus you can plug multiple things in at once.

[This message has been edited by kjkober (edited 05-11-2003).]

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say "Shavers Only" because they were made in the days before laptops and other portable low-current electronic devices. Back then the only electrical devices people carried aboard were things like shavers and hair dryers. The outlets won't handle 500-1000 watt hair dryers, hence the label for shavers only.

There are outlets in sleeper rooms (next to the reading lamp on the rear of a seat) and in the rest rooms. I even saw one refurbished Superliner coach that had them at each seat.

I hear the voltage can be inconsistent or "dirty" so it is advisable to use a portable surge protector for electronic devices. As suggested, a short extension cord may be useful as well.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmtrakMaster
Member # 2489

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmtrakMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've Taken the Amtrak Auto Train and there are Power outlets on all the Super Liners but as Mr. Toy said they're only really for Shavers. Now I asked the conductor if I could plug my scanner in and thats ok. So on some devices they will allow you to use the plugs.

------------------
Amtrak is King of the Rails!

Posts: 2 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had plugged in to a power strip we brought along, all at one time:

A TV
A VCR
A DVD
A Playstaion II
A cell phone charger
and a blender.

Just kidding about the blender. But the rest is true. We encountered no problems.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Room Service (edited 05-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Room Service (edited 05-09-2003).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AmtrakMaster:
...as Mr. Toy said they're only really for Shavers.

Well, that's not quite what I said. They can be used for any low-wattage devices LIKE shavers, radios, etc.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmtrakMaster
Member # 2489

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for AmtrakMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only really use my scanner and my other radios. But I've seen people with TV's and VCR's, etc.
Posts: 2 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a compact surge protector with a 6 foot cord today. It has a 3-pronged plug. Do the outlets in sleepers have 2 or 3 prongs?
Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a 3 pronger. Don't forget the blender!
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who have not bought your power strip/surge protector, I recommend a 3 footer. It will lay on the armrest, like it was designed to be in that position.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page