RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Three in a Deluxe Sleeper?

Author Topic: Three in a Deluxe Sleeper?
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometime in the summer of 2004, I'd like to travel from Chicago to New York City by train. My children will be 5 and 9 at that time. Would the three of us be too many for a single deluxe sleeper? I cringe at the thought of how much two adjoining would cost.
Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigger,
When my two daughters were 11 and 10,
we three shared a Deluxe Sleeper on the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Portland.
They were fine bunking together. Hope this helps.

------------------
- - - - -The Chief

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my twins were about 10, the three of us even shared a Superliner Standard Bedroom. Even though they could not share a car backseat without fighting, they thought the bedroom was 'way cool'.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen as many as four share a deluxe. There are two bunks, an upper and a lower, so sharing is required.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 6 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My former wife and I took our then <10 year old twice on the CZ ... deluxe room.

No problem on space.

You should easily have room for 2 little ones with you as the grownup.

It might get a little uncomfortable at 2 adults and 2 kids.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak web site indicates the deluxe room is for two people. When three or four people (adults or children) are booked into the same room do they simply pay the coach rail fare and are their meals also included?
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudAnnS
Member # 2419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JudAnnS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I asked Amtrak about the meals for the deluxe room, I was told that it included meals for up to three people. You pay for the three people's rail fair and one price for the room.
Posts: 24 | From: Sunrise, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the viewliners at least, the lower bunk is wider by about a foot than the upper. No problem putting two children in it.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Spring of '93 my family and I(Brother, mom, and dad) went from LA to Chicago on the Desert Wind.
I was 5 and my brother was 9. lol
We shared the beds quite nicely.
Great Trip

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page