RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Updated Scanner Frequencies

Author Topic: Updated Scanner Frequencies
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for updated scanner frequencies... Northbound Silver Star, Westbound Capitol Lmited, Westbound Southwest Chief, East Bound Sunset Limited... Plus and scanner hints for this first time Amtrak passenger, his spouse and 4 kids! Thanks!
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are frequencies on the SWC:
CHGO to Miss. River 160.650
Miss. River to KC 160.560
KC to Emporia 160.560
Emporia to Newton 160.650
Newton-26 Mi. from La Junta160.935
26 miles into La Junta 160.650
La Junta to So. of Albuq. 160.590
Albuq. to Gallup 160.650
Gallup to Winslow 161.190
Winslow to Seligman 160.935
Seligman to Needles 160.650
Needles to Barstow 160.935
Barstow for 27 miles 160.650
Remainder to Riverside 161.190
Riverside to LA 160.650

Please give us a report of your trip.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Fe 5704
Member # 2277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santa Fe 5704     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correction:

CHGO to Argyle, IA 160.650
Argyle, IA to KC 160.560

Posts: 53 | From: Kansas City, Missouri USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
denver bob
Member # 1664

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for denver bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any other frequences changed,particularly between Denver and Chicago ?
Posts: 14 | From: denver, colorado usa | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railfan04
Member # 2498

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railfan04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure what Chicago to Aurora's freguency is on the BNSF Chicago Sub, but the BNSF Mendota Sub Montgomery (Aurora) to Galesburg is AAR Channel 85 161.385, then thru the Galesburg Terminal it is AAR Channel 51 (??). Galesburg (Cameron) to Argyle, IA (15 minutes west of Miss. River) is what was posted 160.650.

Matt

Posts: 2 | From: wyanet, il usa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It amazes me how knowledgeable and helpful you train buffs are... you are converting me!

Since the frequencies I had for the SWC were close and I had to change my list...

I would really like a few more things...

Frequencies for the Silver Star (ORL to D.C), the Capitol Limited (D.C. to Chic) and the Sunset Limited (L.A. to Orl).

Also, any tips for this first time "trainer" on scanner use.

You are all great people!

Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maxmarch:
Also, any tips for this first time "trainer" on scanner use.

First, read the manual (!), learn how to use it well in advance of your trip so you won't be fumbling along the way. Most scanners can be programmmed for many more channels than you will need, so in addition to the railroad frequencies, program in your local air traffic control, police and fire depts, and learn how the scanner works by listening to those.

On the train, use headphones unless you are in your room behind closed doors. You don't want to disturb other passengers (plus Amtrak policy requires headpnones for all personal audio devices).

And don't blab what you hear on the scanner to other passengers. Amtrak crews often take a dim view of folks who reveal operational info to passengers before they get a chance to do so. Repeating information may also be illegal.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piedpiper13
Member # 2473

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for piedpiper13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's a site that will help you program your scanner to the right channels, etc. http://www.trainweb.com/cgi-bin/top/tw_do.cgi?radio/freq.htm What I do is check to see what channels are being used on my trip and then I lock out that ones that aren't. So I scan just that active ones! Good luck and have fun!

------------------
"My other car and my plane is AMTRAK!" - Bob

[This message has been edited by piedpiper13 (edited 05-16-2003).]

Posts: 24 | From: Clermont, FL USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abqcon
Member # 2509

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abqcon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI

La Junta East is 161.385 Ch 85
and Lenwood (Barstow) to Newberry Springs is 161.065 Ch 65

Dispatcher links 161.475 and 161.370 are in effect between Las Vegas NM and Raton

Posts: 3 | From: Albuquerque,NM, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abqcon
Member # 2509

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abqcon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to program all 91 railroad channles in you scanner and scan them all
you might discover new channels in use.

Simple formula, take channel 07 which is 160.215 and add .015, so then-

Ch 08 would be 160.230
Ch 09 would be 160.245
Ch 10 would be 160.260
Ch 11 would be 160.275
Ch 12 would be 160.290

another rule an odd number channel will have an odd number ending frequency and an even number channel will have an even number ending frequency

Good luck

Posts: 3 | From: Albuquerque,NM, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page