RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » An irregularity in the Starlight consist

Author Topic: An irregularity in the Starlight consist
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw todays train #11 in Salinas today, and it had a slight abnormality in the consist. Normally it has a transition sleeper behind the baggage car, followed by two or three sleepers. Behind the sightseer lounge they usually have three to six coaches.

Today there were four sleepers behind the baggage car, and four coaches behind the sightseer lounge. The transition sleeper was bringing up the the rear! The low end door was at the back end. Anyone else catch this?

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 05-13-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the definitive answer,but from your description, it sounds like the crew car on the rear was being deadheaded to another location and was to be dropped off enroute, probably Oakland?
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the first of the four sleepers was supplemented for a B/O Trans. as noted above.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm willing to bet two things. For one, as previously mentioned-that transition sleeper attached to the end was probably deadhead.
Secondly, that would make the first sleeper behind the baggage car the acting transition dorm. The typical SUMMER consist for the Starlight is 3 sleepers/2 during the non-peak periods.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am inclined to agree with amtraxmaniac about the forwardmost sleeper and the transition sleeper on the rear.

But I would comment that the three-sleeper consist is not limited to summer by any means. I have seen three sleepers on the Starlight at many other times during the year, though two are more commonly seen during the slower months.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
azrailer
Member # 2429

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for azrailer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wife and I were on the 11 train on 5/13 and amtrakxmaniac is correct. We also rode the 14 train in october and it had a crew sleeper and three passenger sleeper. I beleive that three passenger sleepers is standard and two is the exception. I was also told by our sleeping car attendant that the crew no longer gets a dorm car but a regular sleeper, I don't know what the difference is.
Posts: 11 | From: Scottsdale AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I hoped that someone who had been there would come forth! Thanks for the inside story, az.

To answer your question about the dorm vs a sleeper, the dorm cars are called "Transition Sleepers" because they make a transition between high-level Superliner cars single level cars. One end has a door up high, the other end has a door down low to match with the baggage car (or any other single level car if Amtrak so chooses).

A Transition Sleeper has a crew lounge on the lower level, and the upper level has Standard rooms only, no Deluxe rooms.

According to a recent hotline on the NARP website Transition Sleepers were originally intended for both crew and paying passengers. Amtrak may be planning to sell Transition sleeper rooms regularly on the Texas Eagle. The full story is at http://www.narprail.org/hot295.htm about half way down.

Now, I don't know why Amtrak would be using regular sleepers for dorm cars. It doesn't make sense. There is still a shortage of regular sleepers, and the high revenue deluxe rooms are in there. There is no good reason I can see to use those cars for crew dorms. Perhaps you misunderstood the crewmember's comments, or I misunderstood yours.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page