RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Chicago questions

Author Topic: Chicago questions
AMTK271
Member # 1778

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for AMTK271   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am heading to Chicago on the LSL Saturday morning from Cleveland, and will be there the whole day, returning on train 48 at 7:00p.m. I know on the Roosevelt Ave. Bridge, you can see Amtrak's yards, and Metra's BNSF line, but is there some bridge farther east that you can view were Amtrak keeps their engines? In photos I've seen, I believe I've seen roads that go down in the area, but I do not know if they are private or not. Does anyone know?
Also, I want to ride Metra to the BNSF "race track." What would be the best Metra station to get off at? I figure I'd get there, then catch either the next or second next train back. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

-Paul

Posts: 24 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is but its in a real bad part of town that is what i have heard from freinds that go to CHI.I heard La Grange is a good spot and you can catch metra out of union station.
------------------
LOOK LISTION LIVE
BEFORE CROSSING RR TRACKS

[This message has been edited by BNSF 1088 (edited 05-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by BNSF 1088 (edited 05-15-2003).]

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtk271 i will be leaving cle the same night you get back but going west bound instead
Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weather forecast for Chicago looks good, so you're in luck. As far as I know, Amtrak keeps its engines on the east side of the yard, south of the Roosevelt Road bridge, which, incidentally, is a good ten blocks south of Union Station. Once you're on the bridge, you should be able to see just about everything. The access road to the yards (Lombard St) is marked by an Amtrak sign on the right side of the bridge and is not marked private. If you walk down that way, I would not go off the road and wander around in the yards or you are sure to be challenged. The first building in the middle of the yard is the covered car maintenance shop, called "the pit"; the large building with the tower is where the yardmaster and operating folks hang out; and the next building to the south is the commissary and Chicago crew base. There is nothing wrong with the neighborhood.

Hinsdale, LaGrange, Brookfield and Downers Grove are all good places to watch trains on the Metra line to Aurora.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to take advantage of Metra's $5 weekend pass, which allows unlimited rides anywhere on the Metra system all weekend. If you ask nicely first, they will usually let you take pictures on the Amtrak platforms in Union Station, but it is quite dark to get real good photos. The Zoo stop on the BNSF Metra line is a nice quiet one if you just want to sit and watch trains. Have fun.
Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RICK777200
Member # 1525

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RICK777200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Far as the Metra line, I live near and frequently take the BNSF line. The line has three tracks, the center one being the express track. The express trains reach 69 mph and the "milk runs" reach 50 mph between stations. If you want to take an express one take the train nonstop from Union Station to Naperville,it is a comfortable pleasant 35 minute ride. Personally, I think the Metra bi-level cars have a much smoother ride than Amtrak's Superliners. The Naperville station is also served by Amtrak and is located in a very nice community. Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!
Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last July, I went to the very same shops -- the area is rumored to be a bad part of town, but that's old news.

Revitalization, new pavings, shopping centers have spruced up around that area, making it better than it was before. As usual, watch your surroundings, as you should anywhere you go.

The Amtrak shops, Metra Yard, and the depot entrance can be viewed well from the Roosevelt Bridge. There is one more bridge just beyond that, you make the call on the spot, if you're interested in walking down there.

Have fun.

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page