RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyr Filming

Author Topic: California Zephyr Filming
Amtrakman
Member # 2403

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Amtrakman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking the California Zephyr in exactly 21 days. I can't hardly wait. I have just recently purchased a brand new digital cam corder and was hoping to use it on this train. When I took the Empire Builder last summer, our sleeping attendant was nice enough to let me open the lower hatch on the sleeper to get some nice shots (see website). I was wondering if anyone had any tips for doing such things, as I believe Amtraks policy does not allow us Train Fans to stick our heads out the window.

Thanks for your help!

------------------
~Late train+more time on the train=The best trains~

Check out my new website at http://www.trainweb.org/toddsamtrakphotos/

[This message has been edited by Amtrakman (edited 05-18-2003).]

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrakman, I just wanted to say that the first picture on your Empire Builder Picture page is an awseome pic.
Love to see the trains in Chicago.
And with the Metra above, great pic.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrakman
Member # 2403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrakman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I apprechiate it!

------------------
~Late train+more time on the train=The best trains~

Check out my new website at http://www.trainweb.org/toddsamtrakphotos/

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak states that passengers should never open the doors' windows in the vestibule, but if the attendant knows what you're up to, and feels that you know what you're doing, you might be able to do it.
I was able to open the window on the westbound Chief last September for a few miles through Flagstaff (pulling my head inside quickly for an oncoming freight!), and it was a lot of fun. It's awesome to look back or forward to see your train wind around curves.
Hopefully you'll be able to get some nice footage!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last summer my son also had a new camcorder on the CZ on our trip to Sacramento. One shot I recommend is to sit near the rear of the lounge car to get the most windows in the frame, and film some of the 25 tunnels going up the front range west of Denver. And if you are quick you can catch the many moons of the rafters on the Colorado River.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amtrakman:
Amtraks policy does not allow us Train Fans to stick our heads out the window.

You believe correctly. Don't even ask, it is considered a MAJOR safety violation.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apart from the obvious decapitation risk, trains throw up a lot of dust and grit which you risk getting in your eyes (been there, done that, got the T-shirt (dirty)).

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page