RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyr Consist

Author Topic: California Zephyr Consist
Amtrakman
Member # 2403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrakman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was curious as to if anyone here has taken the westbound Zephyr recently, or knew if they are running the sleepers towards the front (in front of the diner), or in the rear behind the lounge on train #5?

Thanks for your help.

------------------
~Late train+more time on the train=The best trains~

Check out my new website at http://www.trainweb.org/toddsamtrakphotos/

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, March 27-29 the two sleepers were in front of the diner.
-Mark

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw #5 at Chicago on 5/15 and the sleepers were in the rear, go figure.

btw, it backed into the station for passenger loading WITH the mail cars attached.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. Concensus seemed to be on the front westbound, on the rear eastbound generally speaking, although cars *do* get swapped around.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ilast time I rode the Zephyr, nearly two years ago, I went from Chicago to Denver with the two sleepers at the front. When I continued my westward journey a few days later to Emeryville, my sleeper was at the rear. There appears to be no consistency with this train. I do hope that perhaps Mr. Gunn (who apparently approves of traditional railway practices) will one day order that all sleepers be spotted at the rear of the train.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you prefer them on the rear?

I've heard complaints that the loco whistle keeps people awake. OTOH, I kinda like to hear it.

I don't know the "official" reason for arranging the cars as they are. I suppose it is better to have the coach passengers be able to wait in the lounge car for table space in the diner or is it? In any event, the lounge and diner could be reversed if sleepers were to be on the rear.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whichever way around the sleepers and coaches go, the diner *usually* goes between the sleepers and the lounge, with the coach cars attached to the other end of the lounge.

As to whether I'd prefer sleepers or coach to be on the rear, that depends on which I'm riding in!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page