RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Bush+Amtrak

Author Topic: Bush+Amtrak
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think that President Bush really cares for Amtrak at all or do you think that he thinks that we would be better off with out it?
I know he doesnt have too much time on his hands to discuss the topic thourghly, but do you think that he has any plans any the future for Amtrak?
Might Gore have been an Amtrak supporter?

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snake
Member # 2430

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for snake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just try doin' a Google search of the words Bush + Amtrak

quote:
Bush Administration's Amtrak reform plan is fantasy.

quote:
Bush Amtrak Plan Is "Fuzzy" and "Won't Work Economically"

quote:
The Bush Budget not only neglects Amtrak's needs but also ignores the passenger rail carrier's $5.8 billion capital improvement backlog resulting from years of ...

quote:
... President Bush and Congress Must Act Now to Keep Amtrak Rolling, ...

quote:
Hollings, Byrd Issue Letter to Bush on Amtrak Funding. Letter urges the President to support $205 million in emergency funds. ...

quote:
The Bush administration has more motivation than usual to kill or cripple Amtrak. ...
Or maybe Google just don't like old technology.

[This message has been edited by snake (edited 05-23-2003).]

Posts: 71 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's fairly obvious that Bush and the men that influence him (translated as 'do his thinking for him) are paid off by the airlines. Ultra conservatives make no secret of despising Amtrak; Rush Limbaugh has said as much on his program, saying on more than one occasion that Amtrak needs to die.
In their minds, it would save another billion or so per year that could be thrown to their buddies in the airline industry.
What kills me is that these guys are supposed to care about America's traditions.
What a joke.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Bush has an opinion of Amtrak that wasn't created by someone else. I think his conservative advisors not Bush himself, have pushed the current plan to force funding for Amtrak onto the states. The plan contradicts something Bush wrote in a letter to Amtrak when he was governor of Texas: "a national rail service was the responsibility of the federal government."

I am inclined to agree with this quote from Richard Harnish of the Chicago-based Midwest High Speed Rail Coalition:

"We need a coherent national railroad policy for developing passenger service. The administration clearly doesn't understand intercity passenger rail service and is not taking the time to understand it."

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak+Bush+HisGOPCronies=DeathtoAmtrak
But think how worse off we may have been had McCain won the primary and, God forbid, the election.

But on the same token-I've seen ignorance and apathy left of the aisle as well. While Republicans are out to kill Amtrak, Democrats don't seem to care one way or the other. Strange? Wasn't Amtrak started by Nixon? A Republican? Anyhow, I gues if you don't have the million dollars to slip into the politicians greasy little pockets (as the airlines have)they don't care much about you. It's no wonder why I've voted 3rd party the last three elections.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amtraxmaniac:
Amtrak+Bush+HisGOPCronies=DeathtoAmtrak
But think how worse off we may have been had McCain won the primary and, God forbid, the election.

On the other hand, it would have gotten him out of the Commerce Committee which probably has more influence over Amtrak's fate than the President has.

quote:
But on the same token-I've seen ignorance and apathy left of the aisle as well. While Republicans are out to kill Amtrak, Democrats don't seem to care one way or the other.

I too find it curious. It is my observation that Republican supporters of Amtrak, while relatively few in number, have done their homework and really understand the issues.

Democratic supporters of Amtrak, while relatively large in number, don't seem to understand the issues well enough to effectively defend their positions against Republican critics of Amtrak. So while Democrats rarely vote against Amtrak, they do end up caving in to many of the demands of Amtrak's critics.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In response to Amtraxmaniac:

"Wasn't Amtrak started by Nixon? A Republican?"

It was, partly at the request of the freight railroads, to allow them to unload the money-losing passeneger business.

To answer the first question, "Would Gore have been better"? I don't think so. I don't think Amtrak is a prominent enough issue to either major party. As long as Amtrak is around it will lurch from year to year with weak-to-lukewarm financial support.

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks, the bottom line is numbers. Write your Congress critters, write the President, write the Transportation department. Take the time to send the letter. Avise them that we need Interstate II, especially when we hit 500,000,000 in population. Remind them to plan ahead and plan for rail transportation. We don't need 20 lane highways, yet..........

For those of you liberals that don't understand this administration, they will do the right thing for our Nation. The Republican Party is not the "Party before Nation" party. That's Daschle's party.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that election of McCain would 'kick him upstairs' out of Congress which really determines Amtrak's future. He was far and away best candidate in general and I agree with all his positions EXCEPT Amtrak; we must remember he's a pilot by training and did not grow up with passenger trains at all.
Most Americans just don't think 'train' anymore - it makes me cry to see the pix of airports so busy these days, but most people think only travel time to get there, not the experience! Amtrak appeals to the environmental, do-with-less, intellectual crowd, who are not scared with governmental involvement; note the recent TRAINS article on VIA, which now gets good govt. support; Canadians have always been more receptive to government control over all of their lives. We value individualism which plays into the automania, I-system, and the flag-waving 'individualist patriots' - some of who own the Cadillac agency just outside the gate of the military installation in some God-forsaken desert state ! But they don't see any connection! I, too value the flag and what it stands for, at its best, but would like to see a coordinated passenger policy which is probably a long way down the road unless we get a very bad oil crisis.
James E. Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter Natl. Ry. Historical Society

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page