RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Storage Lockers CHI Union Station

Author Topic: Storage Lockers CHI Union Station
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out how to store our carry on baggage (6 of us) during my layover in Washington D.C. (Best Lockers near gate A).

I am having no such luck finding storage facilities in Chicago. If we are on time, we have about 6 hours.

Anyone out there know about lockers in Chicago?

Thanks!

Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll find luggage lockers inside the baggage claim room, plus more in the corridor right outside it.

If you're traveling first class, you can also leave your stuff inside the Metropolitan Lounge. However, it will be somewhat "accessible" (i.e. not safely locked away). Since the lounge is open to anyone who feels like wandering in -- and out again -- I always opt for the lockers.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 05-28-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they have some lockers not many. they have a room off of the baggage pickup area that you can store things for a small fee. if you are a sleeping car passenger you can store them in the met lounge.

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luggage for first class passengers is stored in a locked room next to the water fountains just south of the metropolitan lounge. As others have said, lockers are available near the baggage claim area and in the south Amtrak waiting area.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have they really begun locking up baggage in the Metropolitan Lounge? If so, it's about time.

When I last passed through, the staff was completely indifferent to the fact that passengers' "left luggage" was within relatively easy reach of anyone who took a fancy to it.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I last passed through Chicago (about five months ago)they were locking up the luggage and giving the first-class passenger a baggage check. This is not in the Metropolitan lounge but in a room just down the hall. In times past I would never trust them to look after my bags because they were not in a secure location, but now I can avoid those expensive lockers.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people are challenged when they enter the Met lounge. The "room down the hall" was, I was led to believe, an overflow for when the main luggage area in the Met lounge itself gets full. However, neither is perfectly safe - but then neither is a locker. Just take your most valuable possessions with you.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief, what are you people carrying, gold bullion?

The luggage is not locked up in the Metro lounge, it is stored in a different room by the water fountains which is either attended or locked up.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that little room to the right of the check-in desk is no longer used for luggage then? Most recent time I was in the Met lounge was in October last year and it was used then.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes that little room is still being used.

My wife and I stored our luggage there on May 2 and May 4 of this year.

We have stored our luggage there almost every May with no problems at all, even with a laptop, camera, video camera, and "stuff".

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page