RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip Report: Amtrak #2 L.A. to New Orleans 5/18-21/03

Author Topic: Trip Report: Amtrak #2 L.A. to New Orleans 5/18-21/03
ZoWie
Member # 2533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZoWie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boarded our Superliner sleeping car at L.A. Union Station. The train was 30 minutes late leaving due to waiting on a connecting train. We figured they'd make it up. We figured wrong.

We had no trouble sleeping in the Deluxe Room. Woke up in Arizona the next morning to learn that during the night a dining car employee had lost consciousness and lapsed into a coma. He had to be taken off in an ambulance and placed into intensive care in a hospital somewhere in Arizona. It didn't really matter under the circumstances, but this had led to another hour's delay, so as we left Tucson the train was 1.5 hours late.

Somewhere after Benson, AZ, the toilets in our entire car stopped working. We'd paid a bundle for a toilet in the deluxe room not to mention a sleeping space larger than a coffin. Things got rather smelly in a hurry. From this point on, the car attendant more or less disappeared. Perhaps he preferred to ride in the adjacent car, and who could blame him. He assured us, when we finally located him somewhere in the train, that the problem would be fixed in El Paso.

Meanwhile, the dining car staff was understandably quite upset about the sudden loss of one of their own, and this was compounded by the quick proliferation of unhappy campers as this train grew steadily later. I had my scanner on the two UP road frequencies, and the detailed track switching, speeds, and time schedules being read to the engineer were the most complicated I've ever heard. Worst was that just about every freight train required that the Amtrak #2 stop dead in one forsaken spot after another, while we watched the prairie dogs watch us and everyone waited for the red signal to finally clear or the freight train to finally show up 20 minutes later so we could move again.

We were 3 hours late getting into El Paso. The Amtrak mechanical division gave our toilets a look, but couldn't do anything because the train was being waved out of the station by the dispatchers who were impatient to get it over a stretch being worked on so the UP could close it for several hours. Therefore it was either wait the rest of the day or stink. They chose stink. Probably a good idea.

By this point, the dining car was becoming a rather unpleasant place itself. One funky, tatooed, biker chick lost it at the steward, who had indeed been abusing passengers pretty much from Arizona on. They got into a shouting match right in front of everyone. Later on, a passenger screamed at a waiter who hadn't brought something or other, then stormed out of the diner.

We were then promised that the toilets would be fixed in San Antonio. They were not. There was a lot of running around and shouting into radios connected to getting the Texas Eagle cars switched out, but no attention for our potty.

It was pretty much stop and go the rest of the way to New Orleans. The toilets stunk worse and worse, the power failed at one point, and the attendant disappeared pretty much for the rest of our trip.

We stopped in cane fields, rice paddies, swamps, and all manner of places with no names except on railroad maps. Finally, we made it into New Orleans at 1:40 AM, or 5 hours late.

Later on, we found out that the train had finally reached Orlando 8.5 hours late, and that this was far from abnormal for #2 eastbound. I don't think they ever fixed the toilets, but I'm not sure on that last one.

I won't ride this train again. I understand that #1/#2 is a candidate for elimination, and if this is the best they can do on the UP southern line, perhaps it's the best idea, sad though that is.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Sorry the trip had so many low points. It does make me angry that Amtrak allows the toilets to frequently 'go bad'. That happened on two of the five trains I was on last summer. And of coure the attendants always then vanish.
Things like this just pound nails into the Amtrak coffin. It's unfortunate. I've said it before, one of Gunn's top priorities is to get more cars working/refurbished and to get rid of the dead weight working for Amtrak (those few, I must add, since most of my experiences were positive).

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sutton - you've hit the nail on the head. Stories like this do immense damage. The contributors to this site do not complain without good cause and I, for one, have the greatest respect for their opinions as I have learnt more from Trainweb than I would have from twenty guidebooks. I'm a Brit, and was intending to come over and take the Eagle/Sunset from St Louis - LAX at the end of the summer. However, all I've heard about these two trains is horrendously late running, missing facilities and poor service. No way am I going to put up with that for 60 hours. Last year I took the CZ and it was an absolute pleasure. Yes, occasionally things will go wrong and we can all live with that, but the Eagle/Sunset seem to get more complaints and bad experiences than all the other LD trains put together. I haven't booked yet, and am seriously considering the SWC instead (or worse still, flying straight to California!).

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most disturbing to read this account of the Sunset Ltd. I am currently booked in a deluxe bedroom for a 66 hour ride from Ontario Calif. to Winter Park Fla this coming December. I think I would abandon my trip somewhere en-route if my toilets failed. Did Zowie receive any sort of compensation from Amtrak for this terrible experience?
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds as if Zowie traveled on the wrong train on the wrong day. But then, even a trip on one of Amtrak's most celebrated trains (including the Coast Starlight and the California Zephyr) can and sometimes does turn out to be a "journey through hell." Like they say, stuff happens.

If any newcomers are reading this thread, don't let one passenger's bad experience influence your own travel decisions. Your trip on the Sunset Limited might turn out absolutely fine. Yet on the very same day, someone riding on the Empire Builder might arrive at their destination sixteen hours late, vowing to never ride Amtrak again.

It's simply the luck of the draw. For me, that's part of the adventure.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 05-29-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZoWie
Member # 2533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZoWie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by royaltrain:
Did Zowie receive any sort of compensation from Amtrak for this terrible experience?

Amtrak says they'll issue some kind of credit.

The trip back was much better. Only 2 hours late coming into L.A., which made for an 8:40 arrival instead of the dreaded 6:40. Only unforseen problem (since getting stopped by UP is hardly unforseen anywhere except in Amtrak's optimistic schedules) was about 15 minutes long when the locomotive had to stop and reboot. I got a good chuckle out of a 12,000-hp loco combination being stopped dead in its tracks by a software problem in a microchip.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Zowie,

As in the Mr Zowie late of the Gilbert B Norman memorial Forum?

Great review, even if not good news.

IIRC, the straw that broke the camel's back for the 1970 Act creating Amtrak was the unacceptable service on the Sunset Limited, courtesy of the Southern Pacific.

30 odd years later ... some things never change, even if the corporate offices moved from 1 Market Center to Dodge Street in Ommyhaw.

The Southern Pacific legacy is clear on this run. We don't want passenger and you can't make us.

My thoughts.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which has the smallest consist:
Texas Eagle
City of New Orleans
Sunset Limited

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudAnnS
Member # 2419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JudAnnS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
If any newcomers are reading this thread, don't let one passenger's bad experience influence your own travel decisions. Your trip on the Sunset Limited might turn out absolutely fine.
It's simply the luck of the draw. For me, that's part of the adventure.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 05-29-2003).]

Thank you for saying that. I was beginning to get a little nervous about our upcoming trip in 21 days! I'm still looking forward to the trip, but with a little more foresight.

Posts: 24 | From: Sunrise, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snake
Member # 2430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for snake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We took the Sunset Limited from Tucson to Jacksonville, and North to Washington, D.C. earlier this month, deluxe sleeper using Continental Airlines frequent-flyer miles converted to Guest Rewards points. This was my first U.S. long distance train trip since the early '60's.

Our train left Tucson about an hour late, and eventually arrived at Jacksonville about 4-1/2 hours late. Fortunately the Silver Star was late too, (We had a 3 hour scheduled layover) and at the station when we arrived. We arrived at D.C.'s Union Station at about 7:00 PM, a little later then the 11:00 AM scheduled arrival.

The trip home was more timely, via Chicago on the Capitol Limited and the Texas Eagle. On the last morning of the trip the toilet took a number of attempts to flush. A little later I noticed a warning light blinking downstairs on a panel indicating "Holding Tank Full". Consulting with my wife, we decided to protect our environment by using the facilities in the other cars. A tank truck was on hand at El Paso to empty our load. We arrived back home in Tucson within 1/2 hour of schedule.

Looking back, we had a good trip, and met a quite a few interesting people. The only thing I'd do differently if I were planning the same trip would have been to schedule an overnight stop instead of a 3 hour connection to avoid any anxiety about missing the connection.

We're gonna do it again, and not wait another 40 years.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experiences:

#1 failed HEP 3 hours off LAX, train was a greenhouse (and a smelly one at that), but they decided to make a dash for LAX since we were already 5 hours late. Otherwise journey was fine.

#2 a couple of hours late NOL - ORL.

#2 under an hour late LAX - SAS.

#22 3 hours late SAS - Dallas.

#22 under an hour late Dallas - CHI.

Experiences otherwise pleasurable! It has to be done, just factor in delay time for connections (don't do connections same day).

I think the Eagle usually has the shortest consist.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zowie,

That sleeping car wasn't the Louisana was it. I had that car on my last eastbound Southwest Chief trip and it's been running around like that for over a year, http://trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page