RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak to Binghampton?

Author Topic: Amtrak to Binghampton?
PSCT29
Member # 2507

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PSCT29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone heard anything recent about the proposal to run Amtrak trains to Binghampton? I know that there were two proposals up for consideration. Binghampton-Scranton-Hoboken and Binghampton-Port Jervis-Hoboken. Currently Hoboken-Scranton is tied up while NJ and PA decide about operating rights, funding etc, but had anyone heard anything about service via Port Jervis? I know NY State was pushing hard for it.

Hoboken-Scranton Proposal http://www.pennjerseyrail.org

Posts: 3 | From: West Orange, NJ | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NY State could push as hard as they want. They don't want to pay for it. Amtrak currently is not allowed to increase any services that would increase costs.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read (in the NJ ARP newsletter, I think) that service via Port Jervis would be too slow and that service will await restoration of the cutoff.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad....
I was in Binghamton this last weekend (New Milford, to be exact, but Hotel was in Binghamton). There is a track that parallels Highway 11 that looks to be in great condition. I didn't see one train on it all weekend (Friday to Sunday).
I flew into and out of Syracuse, but will probably fly into Binghamton late August.

Wish there was a train from Houston to Binghamton.....

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NY completed a study of both the Port Jervis & the Scranton routes, and concluded that the Scranton route would be the best, however that can't happen until the Lackawanna Cutoff gets restored. The PJ route had several hits against it, the additional length being the biggest, I think. The politicians had been pushing for the PJ route, until the study report came out (which I have a copy of), then they changed their thinking, and now support the Scranton route. In the meantime, a deal was worked out with the NYS&W to startup a service between Binghamton & Syracuse, which would be basically an extension of the Ontrack servise which currently runs in Syracuse. NY provided some $$ to NYS&W to fix up the tracks, and NYS&W will provide the service. Supposed to start up later this year.
By the way, there's no 'P' in Binghamton.
Chris

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To mikesmith:
the track you saw is the former DL&W mainline between Bing. & Scranton; now CP/D&H, and yes, it's in excellent condition. I rode on the excursion that Amtrak ran from Steamtown 3 yrs ago, and it was very smooth, 50-60mph most of the way. It does get freight traffic, not sure how much.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page