RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Great deal on sleeper..

Author Topic: Great deal on sleeper..
JudAnnS
Member # 2419

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for JudAnnS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so excited! Only 9 days till we start our amtrak adventure! We got a call tonite from amtrak asking us if we wanted to upgrade our coach tickets to a sleeper. We ended up getting two standard sleepers for $100! I was so impressed that they called and gave us that option. Is this normal?
Posts: 24 | From: Sunrise, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bargain, assuming you mean $100 total and not $100 each! Amtrak phoning and offering upgrades: normal. Offering silly prices: ...?

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patsym
Member # 556

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for patsym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the Coast Starlight on May 13th and a lady told us that Amtrak had called her and offered a sleeper for $75 from Los Angeles to Eugene which she had taken. I thought that was a good price. Seems to me Amtrak is offering sleepers at a reduced rate when they aren't filled and that seems like a good idea to me. Better full at any price than empty for nothing.
Posts: 11 | From: Pilot Rock, OR | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudAnnS
Member # 2419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JudAnnS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geoffm:
Bargain, assuming you mean $100 total and not $100 each!
Geoff M.

Yes, it was for two total. It was $50 per sleeper.

Posts: 24 | From: Sunrise, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$50 per sleeper? That deep of a discount is excessive. The meals alone are worth nearly that. Something doesn't sound quite right here.

I've gotten the upgrade call myself, and been given $50 off the full price, but that still made it well over $100 for the room (Standard).

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I m always amazed at the flucuation of prices for sleepers. I tried to upgrade from coach on the SW Chief from LA to Chicago. $500..no thanks. I ve gotten great deals just going through Amraks website. Theres probably nothing I enjoy more than traveling cross country in a sleeper. Jacksonville to LA on the Sunset...$200..with the internet discounted coach fare, an additional $96. I figure three nights and two full days and parts of two more days with meals for under $300. Of course I m doing this right after Labor Day. Before that the cost was much higher and I m taking the SW Chief back with a much more reasonable fare of $225.

I check the rail sale fares frequently. Last summer all the Chicago to the West Coast routes were $58 each way. I don t see any of those this year. I did see a fare for one weekend only of $119 on the Chief..which seems quite high for a rail sale fare, considering it would be cheaper just to buy it normally.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudAnnS
Member # 2419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JudAnnS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally,I had told my husband that we could try to get a sleeper on the train when we got on to see what kind of deal we could get, but told him to plan on riding coach. After we got the call, I told him it was a deal we couldn't refuse. I said the same thing that you did Mr. Toy, about the food costing more than that for the four of us. I was a little weary myself of the price, so I made the lady at Amtrak repeat it about 10 times F.Y.I...the $50 a room was in addition to the original train fare. I'm so thrilled that we are being given this opportunity!

[This message has been edited by JudAnnS (edited 06-10-2003).]

CarKnocker
Member # 2561

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CarKnocker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also been called by Amtrak at the last min. about upgrades and it's nice,but I always get good deals with Vet. Advantage,so I don't worry about it much.Also using the Amtrak rewards card,you get double points,so if I pay alittle more for my tickets - I get it back with free travel down the road.It's nice to have a travel company like Amrak,that has all these options and is a nice relaxing way to travel too.I'll be leaving tommorow from Dearborn,Mi to Minn./St Paul...than down to New Orleans on The City of New Orleans and fly back to Chicago for a train back to Dearborn.I heard my service on train 59 [city of New Orleans]mite be cut to bear min.so I'm hoping for the best for Amtrak in the future..Happy rails all!
Posts: 3 | From: New Haven,Mi. U.S.A | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On train where multiple sleepers are available the marketing department does offer great deals. If they call you, take it.
You wont be able to get the deal later or on board.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page