RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Dining Car Menus

Author Topic: Dining Car Menus
Kostroma
Member # 2243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kostroma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Amtrak's website and looked around. I found the menus, but there was no indication of which specific routes each menu is offered on. Did I miss that information somewhere or are all 3 menus available on all the trains?
Posts: 24 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piedpiper13
Member # 2473

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for piedpiper13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Menu#1 - 1,4,19,22,48,50,91,98,421,448 Menu#2 - 2,6,7,11,20,27,30,49,51,59,92,97,422,449 Menu#3 - 3,5,8,14,21,28,421

[This message has been edited by piedpiper13 (edited 06-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by piedpiper13 (edited 06-17-2003).]

Posts: 24 | From: Clermont, FL USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kostroma
Member # 2243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kostroma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!
Posts: 24 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piedpiper13
Member # 2473

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for piedpiper13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has just rotated the menus!!! Trains using #1 are now #2 Trains using #2 are now #3 Trains using #3 are now #1
Posts: 24 | From: Clermont, FL USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHere can i find menus, in the pastr i only found the texas eagle menu at texaseagle.com nothing else..

anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
denmarks
Member # 2748

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for denmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When going first class is EVERYTHING on the menu free including wines, beverages, and all of the add-ons. I'm assuming only one entree, side, beverage, and dessert.

------------------

Posts: 9 | From: Chico, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alcoholic beverages are not included in the price (nothing is free), other drinks are. You can have starter, main course, and dessert (if applicable to the meal). If there are sides then I believe you are allowed the one (I've only ever asked for an extra side at breakfast). A tip of $1 for breakfast, $1-2 for lunch, $2-3 for dinner seems to be the norm for average service.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piedpiper13
Member # 2473

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for piedpiper13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/Dining_Car_Menu.r5.pdf

[This message has been edited by piedpiper13 (edited 10-12-2003).]

[This message has been edited by piedpiper13 (edited 10-12-2003).]

Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tipping is optional. I saw many fellow passengers exiting the dining car leaving NOTHING.

Including one woman who let everyone know that SHE used to be a waitress and knows what they have to put up with. HA!

I think 15-18% of the bill total is appropriate. Just as you would in a restruant that dosen't move at 75 mph.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The three menus are quite similar, beef vs. chicken pot pie, etc. Considering the difficult conditions the cooks are facing I think the food is very good. The dessert menu always ends a meal on a good note.
I encourage everyone to tip. Dining on a train is no different than any other sit-down restaurant. If you are on a cruise you are expected to tip three people in the dining room. Given the obstacles a server faces to provide good service on a train I prefer to tip on the higher end of the scale. A $2 tip vs. $1 won't break the bank but the server appreciates it. I gave my server a $5 tip at lunch (the service was great). During the remainder of the trip I had a very attentive and friendly server. Please tip your servers and let your table guests see you do it, it might inspire them to do the same.

Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Room Service - your comment that some passengers feel that "tipping is optional" maybe correct by the "letter of the law". However, unless service is far under par, I would suggest that the "spirit of the law" is to tip these hardworking & underpaid service employees.
If the passenger does not tip for quality service than the passenger can expect the employee to use their "option" not to provide them with very good service.
These passengers must realize that it works both ways.
I agree with you on your tipping guidelines.

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 10-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 10-16-2003).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page