RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » last minute questions

Author Topic: last minute questions
JudAnnS
Member # 2419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JudAnnS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a few more questions before we leave.
1) We will unfortunately need to check one peice of luggage on this trip. How dependable (or should I say undependable) is? I guess what I mean is, what are the chances of it getting lost! We will be gone over a month and try as I might, was unable to consolidate as much as I wanted. Would I be better off mailing my stuff up north?
2) We have a sleeper car for a segment of our trip starting in Orlando. It's departure time is 1:45..is lunch still being served at this time or do I need to pack some sandwiches?
I really appreciate any help in answering these questions.

Posts: 24 | From: Sunrise, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afternoonhiawatha
Member # 2566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for afternoonhiawatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JudAnnS,
Our family checked a large piece of luggage during our multi-stop trip in the summer of 2001. We brought 1 smaller suitcase and 2 carry-on bags into our deluxe sleeping accommodations on both the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder. That worked well for our party (2 adults and 2 children under the age of eight). We checked our larger piece of luggage an hour and a half prior to departure from both Los Angeles and Portland, OR. The process was painless and quick. Checking our luggage early helped us to avoid last minute crowds and made the overall departure process more relaxing and as stress free as possible (especially since we were travelling with young children).
Upon arrival in both Eugene, OR. and Whitefish, MT. I recall that our one piece of checked luggage was unloaded and available for claiming shortly (5-10 minutes) after arrival. It was not an unreasonable wait.

Posts: 13 | From: Dubuque,IA,USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally, lunch is served on Amtrak trains from roughly 11:30am to 2pm.

On the other hand, it sounds as if you'll be taking the Sunset Limited. Since Orlando is your train's starting point (and it won't even depart the station until 1:45pm, if not later), dinner will be the first meal served in the dining car, starting at 5:30 or so. All your meals in the diner will be "complimentary" (in other words, they're built into the price of your ticket).

Until then, the "non-complimentary" snack concession in the sightseer car has enough choices to hold you over. Just keep in mind that it probably won't open for business until the train has been underway for a while. To keep everyone happy and fed, take along some sandwiches or light snacks instead. Or simply have lunch before you board the train.

If your sleeping car attendant has his/her act together, you'll find coffee, soft drinks, bottled water, and possibly fruit juices available in your car shortly after departure. Have a great trip!

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 06-17-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family and I just got back from a three train Amtrak trip. As soon as I have time to write a good story, I will post my trip report at this website.

We checked four pieces of luggage, three different times. Every time, it was done efficiently, by friendly employees. We had no problems at all. The entire process was a lot faster and easier than checking luggage with airlines.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudAnnS
Member # 2419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JudAnnS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much everyone! I had read a post a while back about someone having bad luck with checked luggage, and at the time it seemed that quite a few people agreed that it was better to travel with carry-on only (at least that's how I interpreted it.)Try as I may, it was too difficult consolidating enough clothes for 6 weeks for three people! Anyhow, I really appreciate the info and once again relieved with the answers
Posts: 24 | From: Sunrise, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't heard of anyone having a problem with checked luggage, although, I suppose it does happen. Don't forget to mark those carryons with a distinctive ribbon, large tag, strap or some other way so that won't be grabbed by someone else by mistake.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six of us just traveled all across this great country of ours on Amtrak. We had 16 pieces of luggage... 12 carry on... cooler, book bags, back packs,etc. and 4 checked suit cases... not one problem with any of it.

Pack sandwiches.. if the 1:45 is late, lunch will be over...

Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page