RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What is your Favorite Amtrak Diesels?

Author Topic: What is your Favorite Amtrak Diesels?
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Amtrak Railfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everybody What is your Amtrak Diesels?
Posts: 31 | From: White Plains NY USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F40s and F59PHI
Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Railfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Favorite Amtrak Diesels are P32AC-DM,P42DC and the F59.
Posts: 31 | From: White Plains NY USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna say Gennies and Pooches.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrakman
Member # 2403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrakman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The brand new p42DC's (making my overall faviorte engine #207 (the newwest)).

------------------
~Late train+more time on the train=The best trains~

Check out my new website at http://www.trainweb.org/toddsamtrakphotos/

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pepsi Can engines
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any locomotive that gets me to my destination is my favorite. Genesis units numbered between 114 and 119 have had that honor in recent years.

But for looks, I vote Genesis in Phase III colors. Phase V is growing on me, though.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I prefer the pre-Amtrak E Units, F Units, and GG-1 electrics the railroad inherited from other passenger services at the dawn of the "rainbow era."

The lack of consistency in their paint jobs made them a feast for the eyes. Even after many had been festooned with the earliest Amtrak colors, some retained the paint schemes of their previous owners. And a few were bizarre combinations of the two -- the old railroad's name would be sloppily painted over, and A-m-t-r-a-k stenciled in. The effect was very Mad Max/Road Warrior-esque.

Those gritty old engines also looked unmistakably "American." Maybe it's just me, but Amtrak's later locomotives -- including the Genesis -- are too generically "European." I find them kind of boring.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 06-23-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Siemens Diesels that are part of the Talgo XXI that should be running already out of Chicago to destinations like St. Louis, Indianapolis and Milwaukee...(the darn things can run at 150+ mph, you know...)
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afternoonhiawatha
Member # 2566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for afternoonhiawatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GE P-32 BH
Posts: 13 | From: Dubuque,IA,USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Amtrak Railfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now what is your favorite Electric Diesel locomtives?
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By "electric Diesels", you mean what? All Diesel locomotives used by Amtrak have been Diesel-electrics; I don't know off-hand of any Diesel-hydraulics they ever had in regular service (and the Turboliner does not qualify).
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Railfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the E60MA and the HHP-8.
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

The E60MA and the HHP-8 are not Diesels whatsoever; they are straight electric locomotives.
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
Does everybody like the FL9s and the F40's?
Amtrakman
Member # 2403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrakman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did like the F40-PHI's but grew tired of them. They were however interesting loco's that did their jobs for many many years. So they are A-OK in my book.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MP 6.7
Member # 2654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MP 6.7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To restart an old topic:

My favorites:
P42DC Phase III
B32-8W in either paint

Some that should get honorable mention:
F40 Phase III, IV is starting to gain my preference
F59PHI
SDP40F with the red nose (even though I have never seen one in Amtrak operation)

I don't know about you, but the GE's sound like real locomotives...the chugga, chugga, chugga they make sounds like POWER...EMD engines don't sound as impressive.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
E-8 or E-9

John

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

I don't know about you, but the GEs sound like real locomotives...

Begging your pardon, what's a "real" locomotive? To me, such a thing is a device on the railroad which pulls rail cars. That's about the end of it for me.

the chugga, chugga, chugga they make sounds like POWER...

Oh, that sound. If I'm not mistaken, that's the four-stroke diesel prime-mover. May sound like power, but it's nowhere near as powerful as a smoother-running two-stroke diesel--all you have there is wasteful exhaust, hence the noise.

EMD engines don't sound as impressive

Maybe not, but their two-stroke prime movers can put out twice the power of four-stroke ones, at half the cost. Not to mention that it was the EMD diesels that were the "steam killers", not anything that GE put out.

Also, getting back on topic, the GE "Genesis" series are not the favorites of either maintenance or engineers with Amtrak, some of whom wish for an updated version of the F40PH to be in their stead...

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: "I prefer the pre-Amtrak E Units, F Units, and GG-1 electrics the railroad inherited from other passenger services at the dawn of the rainbow era."

As a followup to my earlier post, here's the sort of thing I was talking about. They're three blasts from the past -- when men were men and Amtrak locomotives looked. . . well. . . a bit more interesting:

http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtErain/amt351E.jpg

http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtErain/amt327.jpg

http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtGG1/amt4933c.jpg

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 08-07-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the "Pepsi Cans", great paint scheme. And a train set with matching Genesis locos in phase V looks classy.
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
E8-E9 FL9 GG-1 P30CH Pepsi Can

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page