RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Stations in Colorado

Author Topic: Stations in Colorado
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about either the Granby or Winter Park, Colorado Amtrak stations. I am taking the CZ to visit my brother in August and wanted to know which would be nicest if I am to be waiting for a ride or waiting for the train to come on the way home? Are either close to interesting stuff to see or do? If you haven't actually used them, which looked nicer out the window of the train? Thanks!
Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Geez... they both looked good. I've been through that area 4 times in the last 6 years. Granby is a small town surrounded by the Rockies and Winter Park is a ski resort right at the tracks. Either one would be interesting, if I was spending a few hours waiting.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrakman
Member # 2403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrakman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I agree. Personally, I would choose Winterpark, but thats ONLY because I have heard more about it. I just recently saw both last week.

Thanks!

------------------
~Late train+more time on the train=The best trains~

Check out my new website at http://www.trainweb.org/toddsamtrakphotos/

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When they closed I-70 3 weeks ago due to a sinkhole, I chose to drive along the CZ route as a detour, and stopped to check out both stations (I was returning my rental car to Denver Union Station for the trip back east). Those little roads I saw from the train on previous trips had always looked so inviting, and I would have seen the westbound CZ if it hadn't of been 6 hours late.

Both are in picturesque mountain settings and have small unmanned depots. Granby has a little more remote, desolate feel to it, and the depot is down a steep hill and somewhat isolated from the main street which runs parallel a block away. More of a western town time forgot. The depot is just an ordinary railroad building surrounded by gravel.

Winter Park (the town is called Fraser), is more of a tourist/outdoor enthusiast kind of town: spiffed up depot, bike and walking trails, condos for the masses, fast food, trendy stuff.

I thought they were both places I'd love to be stuck in for awhile. Just depends on which atmosphere you'd like to soak up.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your replies. I think I'll go w/the Winter Park stop. I see Amtrak's website says it either has a restaurant near or in the station. Although the CZ hasn't been running super late (not more than 2-3 hrs.) most days lately, I'm sure something can always come up and it would be a good place to pass time while I'm waiting.
-Coachclass www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Twin Star Rocket alluded to, please understand that the "Winter Park" station is NOT at the Winter Park Ski resort (I wish it were, since that is a very pretty area, and you can see the CZ passing through from the ski area if you are skiing). The "Winter Park" station is actually at Fraser, which is 6-7 miles north of Winter Park. In the winter, however, there is a special "Ski train" between Denver and Winter Park, which does actually stop at the Winter Park Ski Area.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition, the "Ski Train" runs round-trip Denver-Winter Park on Saturdays during the summer, with usually the same consist as the winter train -- coaches and a higher-fare club car -- and on the same schedule as winter.
Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page