RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset sold out? What's going on?!

Author Topic: Sunset sold out? What's going on?!
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just tried to book a trip between Orlando and New Orleans for early-mid August. I know it's a busy month, but I've never known that leg of the Sunset to be more than half full, even in the height of summer! What's going on - some big event? Not even coach seats are available.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not possible. After all, nobody rides Amtrak, right?
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The westbound leg of the Sunset between Orlando and New Orleans does indeed sell out very quickly, since the westbound train originates in Orlando, and is usually pretty close to schedule between ORL and NOL, and the dining car and lounge will have plenty of food and supplies for that leg; however, in my experiences, the eastbound leg, from New Orleans to Orlando, is often very very empty -- usually the train is hours and hours late by the time it gets to NOL, and often the crew is surly by that time, since they just want to get the trip done with, and all mechanical problems on the train which have not been fixed since Los Angeles or El Paso are still there, and by that time, AMTRAK won't bother to fix anything in route, but will wait until the train is deadheaded back to Sanford for servicing/storage, where all mechanical problems can be fixed before the next westbound trip to L.A.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAChooChoo
Member # 723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAChooChoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
.....however, in my experiences, the eastbound leg, from New Orleans to Orlando, is often very empty...

Which you then followed with an unnecessary diatribe.

How about some facts instead??

The eastbound Sunset is also "Sold Out" from NOL to ORL for the first two weeks in August!

Historically, this has signalled that CSX is doing trackwork, and the train is annulled between those points.

Posts: 29 | From: Baltimore MD | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Families looking at Colleges?
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trackwork... interesting point. JaChooChoo - that's a bit harsh and in fact my experiences are exactly the same as RRRich's - nearly empty eastbound in August, hence my question!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Palmland
Member # 2630

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have rode the Sunset on several ocassions and have met some of the rudest employees anywhere. Even though I love passenger trains, I often fly because of the aforementioned AND because , other than the NEC, I have never "occasssioned" across an Amtrak train that was ever on time.
Posts: 5 | From: pensacola, Fl USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was actually on a Sunset Limited this May 11 that arrived into San Antonio right on time and left right on time. Of course, I was in a sleeper on the Sunset and was transfering to a coach on the Eagle on my way to Austin (foolishly assuming it would be arriving late into SAS, thus allowing me to sleep in.....).

Oh well....... It was 5 1/2 hours late last May 12, 2002 when I was sick as a *** ....

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I took the SL from Florida to LA last year (May, 2002) as part of my 18 day Amtrak junket, the crew was friendly and accommodating. One of the better crews on the trip, in fact. Also, arrival in LA was only 30 minutes behind schedule!

I'm booked again for the trip this October ... can barely wait!

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On another forum it has been reported that there is indeed trackwork going on in August and there will be no SL service durint that month between New Orleans and Orlando.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Thanks, Chatter!

Geoff M.

CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TRACKWORK AFFECTING THE SUNSET LIMITED

DUE TO TRACKWORK ON THE CSX SANFORD SUBDIVISION, TRAINS 1/2,
THE SUNSET LIMITED, WILL BE DISRUPTED AS FOLLOWS:
TRAIN 1 - ORIGIN DATES
JULY 24, 27, 29
AUGUST 5, 7, 10, 12, 14

TRAIN 1 WILL ORIGINATE IN NEW ORLEANS FOLLOWING DAY.
BUSES (#3001 IN ARROW) BETWEEN ORLANDO AND NEW ORLEANS.

TRAIN 2 - ORIGIN DATES
JULY 20, 23, 25
AUGUST 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, 13

TRAIN 2 WILL TERMINATE IN NEW ORLEANS TWO DAYS LATER.
BUSES (#3002 IN ARROW) BETWEEN NEW ORLEANS AND ORLANDO.

-source: AMTRAK

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hookedup
Member # 1691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hookedup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was planning on taking the SL from LAX-ORL in early August and rec'd a call from Amtrak advising the train was not running in AUG due to service disruption - track work by CSX.
The choices were bus from New Orleans to Orlando or cancel for refund.
We take this trip each summer to Disneyworld and this was pretty harsh news for us. We have a family sleeper which is not available on Viewliners and therefore we are really bummed!

Posts: 45 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Not the best of timings by CSX, right in the peak of summer, I agree!

I wanted to ESCAPE from Disney but will now have to settle for a flight to New Orleans and train from there (City of New Orleans). Still, it might work out in my favour as I'll have more time there!

Geoff M.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page