RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Soap and Water! Re: The Empire Builder

Author Topic: Soap and Water! Re: The Empire Builder
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love trains. I do't want to say bad things about Amtrak but I am going to. I just returned late this morning to La Crosse, Wisconsin, from Vancouver, BC, where I had travelled to take a cruise. I travelled both ways, La Crosse-Seattle, on the Empire Builder and had looked forward to the trip for months. My party of four shared a family bedroom for the trip west, and two standard bedrooms for the trip home. The trip west was pretty decent, except that the bedding in the family bedroom on the lower adult bed smelled strongly of perspiration in spots. We arrived a couple of hours late in Seattle, but there was a thru-way bus available just about 90 minutes later to take us to Vancouver. The break from being cooped up was appreciated. The trip east was another story. I had checked our hand baggage with a red cap, as we had a 5-hour layover in Seattle. She promised to deliver it to our rooms, where it would be waiting for us when we boarded. It wasn't. She said we got on "too soon." I found it on the rack in the lower level, where it remained until I fetched it myself. Bear in mind that I was travelling with a 3 year-old who cannot be let loose for a second around trains, an 8 year-old, and an almost 85 year-old who walks slowly with a cane and is moderately hearing-impaired. I would have appreciated any help I got and tipped generously. I ended up not tipping at all, as I didn't get the service promised and the excuse for the lapse was really thin. Our sleeping car was in bad shape. Garbage bins were full, there was no soap in the public restroom on the upper level, there was no bath soap, shampoo, or bath towels in the shower, which had mold in every crevice, and the door did not lock. The upper level toilet stank throughout the trip. Lots of soda pop was provided, but hardly any coffee. The bedding in my room was totally vile with body odor, and the room itself was unbearably hot if the door was closed. The toilet paper was set on the sink because the spindle was broken, and it was always damp from the sink. There were sticky spots, scuff marks, and just general dirt everywhere. The carpet was filthy. The overhead light were so dim as to make reading uncomfortable, and the public address system wasn't working above a whisper. Our car attendant was mostly absent, but he very obviously lavished attention on a few select passengers. The overall effect was pretty awful, and could have been largley remedied by employees applying soap, water, and effort. There was a rather elegant woman in the next room taking her first train trip, whom I could often hear chatting on her cell, and it was amusing to overhear her comments. One thing she told someone was "They told me I was going first class, so I had my nails done, but this is like camping! I took one look at that shower and decided I would just sponge off with some Wet Ones."

I found myself alternately wishing there were a member of Congree aboard, and hoping there wasn't. Apart from my own personal discomfort, this is no way to attract repeat or word-of mouth business.

[This message has been edited by Tigger (edited 07-08-2003).]

Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAChooChoo
Member # 723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAChooChoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigger:
I love trains. I do't want to say bad things about Amtrak but I am going to.

I hope that, before you posted this, you sent it to Amtrak. That is where you can do the most good.

Posts: 29 | From: Baltimore MD | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about sending this to the boss? I have written him 3 letters and received 3 responses. I recommend letting him know about your trip.

Mr. David L. Gunn, President and CEO
National Railroad Passenger Corporation
60 Massachusetts Avenue NE
Washington, DC 20002

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigger, I know you were really looking forward to this trip, so I'm bummed about your experience, too.

You should not only report this to Amtrak, you should be sure and give Amtrak the name of the negligent attendant. Amtrak does follow up on such complaints (but usually won't report the results back to you because personnel matters are confidential).

I'm glad your westbound trip was OK. (I would have asked for a new blanket, though.)

It has been said that one shouldn't judge Amtrak by one bad experience or one good experience. My experiences have been generally positive, but sometimes they do stupid things.

It is stories like this that make me think Amtrak should contract on-board services to private bidders who must meet certain customer service standards and efficiency goals or be replaced. It would work like the one in the audio/visual company I work for. We have in-house contracts at hotels all across the country. The contract in our hotel comes up for renewal every two years. If we do well, we get renewed. If we let our standards slide, we will be replaced. Our company replaced an inferior A/V company in this hotel about 8 years ago.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 07-08-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that Amtrak should receive a very stern letter, although I really wonder if they pay much attention to them. I also think Tigger should receive some sort of compensation. As for getting anything out of Amtrak, that is very hit and miss. In the past, I have received excellent compensation after I complained about various service lapses, but on one occasion I had to sue them. With David Gunn at the helm, one hopes that the passenger (ex-guest) would fare somewhat better.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. I'm not looking for compensation. I'm wishing there was a way to get more people to ride Amtrak and stand up for passenger rail service in this country. The trip I had certainly wasn't it. The woman with the new manicure who said it was just like camping was wrong. On a camping trip you can move your bed away from the privy or latrine if it stinks. You can hike or drive to a country store and buy some soap if you forgot to bring any. You can open your tent flap or camper window if it gets stuffy at night. I was also concerned at never having any soap in the toilet and the loose roll of toilet paper rolling around on the damp floor when it was obvious some of the passengers were having diarrhea. Mr. Toy, you may have the right idea in outsourcing it. I had the opportunity during my vacation to stay in the lovely Hyatt Regency Hotel in Vancouver, and I found myself thinking that a couple of their chamber maids should be turned loose in this car for a couple of hours.

[This message has been edited by Tigger (edited 07-09-2003).]

Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page