RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Differences between Superliner and Viewliner deluxe bedrooms?

Author Topic: Differences between Superliner and Viewliner deluxe bedrooms?
hookedup
Member # 1691

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for hookedup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the Superliner and Viewliner deluxe bedrooms identical? I have found most descriptions of deluxe bedrooms lump the 2 together.
Are the beds on both the EXACT same size? Are there any differences at all? I am used to Superliner equipment so I am trying to educate myself about Viewliner equipment before my next trip. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by hookedup (edited 07-12-2003).]

Posts: 45 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On http://trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html they look very similar. I've heard that the Viewliners are more roomy though (headroom?). My finances don't stretch as far as actually paying for them so I can't help you there.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think the Deluxe bedroom is better in the Viewliner than the Superliner. Mostly because you have more headroom thanks to the upper level windows, the toilet/shower compartment is very slightly bigger, and what I particularly like on Viewliners is that you can actually control the room temperature. On Superliners the only control is the vent on the ceiling that just opens and closes the air flow. As far as the actual size of the two rooms they are almost the same.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hookedup
Member # 1691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hookedup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info.

I had read that the upper bunk on the standard room on the viewliner was slightly larger than the upper bunk on the superliner. Is the upper bunk in the deluxe room in the viewliner bigger than the upper bunk in the superline deluxe room?

[This message has been edited by hookedup (edited 07-13-2003).]

Posts: 45 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, I have found the standard Viewliner beds (upper and lower) smaller than the Superliner standard beds. The Viewliner standard beds narrow out at the end as opposed to the Superliner standard beds. As for Deluxe rooms, Viewliner is n nearly identical to Superliner (as best I can tell). I usually take a standard bedroom in the Viewliner, but had the luxury of a Deluxe bedroom not too long ago on the Federal. I thought the bathroom is about the same size as the Superliner. Definitely more headroom on the Viewliner, which is nice, but the distance between the bathroom door and the window seemed a lot smaller on the Viewliner than the Superliner. I recall opening the door of the bathroom in a deluxe Superliner without having to move the arm chair. I had to move the arm chair or have a tight squeeze into the bathroom of the Viewliner Deluxe room. The second tier of windows on the Viewliner really make it a great sleeping car. Same type of little compartments in both Viewliner and Superliner Deluxe rooms.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JP is right. The deluxe bedrooms in the two rooms are essentially the same. There is 18" more width in the superliner bedroom, due to the slightly smaller bathroom (as compared to the viewliner). As JP said, when you open the bathroom door on the SL, you can do so w/out touching the chair (though the door fully open comes within 2" of the chair). On the VL, the door only comes halfway open, due to the chair, so you have to inhale to squeeze into the bathroom through the open door.

The SL has a little closet (more like a locker) at the end of the bed, next to the door to the hall, as well as a shelf over the armchair. The VL has neither of these, but does have comparable storage space on top of the bathroom.

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MP 6.7
Member # 2654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MP 6.7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Amtrak should ask Bombardier to build them something like a double deck Viewliner...with windows on the top bunks. That is my only gripe about the superliners. If you get the top bunk, you can't see outside. You have to hang your head over the side.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page