RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Easy Question-- Stop for Port Canaveral?

Author Topic: Easy Question-- Stop for Port Canaveral?
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is hopefully an easy question for those of you experienced riding trains in the south. I want to take a Disney cruise that leaves from Port Canaveral, Florida. What would be the best (most convenient, not necessarily closest) Amtrak station to travel to? Disney offers transfers from the Orlando airport, and from its own hotels at Walt Disney World. Renting a car may not be a good option, as the cruise is 7 days and I don't want to pay for a car to sit at the cruise terminal for a week. I believe there is also some sort of private shuttle service from Orlando to the port.
Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orlando or Winter Park would be the closest stations to the Port.

If AMTRAK survives, there are plans in the works for a future service along the FEC Railway, which would have service from Jacksonville and up north to Daytona Beach and Titusville, I believe, in which case Titusville would be closer. But that service is likely several years away, even under the best projections......

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite right, RRRICH, originally they were hoping to have it running by late 2004/early 2005, but the last I saw it was put back to 2007 at the earliest...plus the fact that there is a 2 year moratorium in place on any new Amtrak services
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orlando is the best bet for getting to Port Canaveral. Avis and Hertz offer free pickup service there (Avis uses their downtown and Orlando North locations to service Amtrak). I believe that Avis has a Port Canaveral location where you could drop the car. Maybe Hertz does too. Just be sure to use the correct rental location in Orlando as the airport is miles away.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page