RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » ANOTHER New Train Traveller with Questions

Author Topic: ANOTHER New Train Traveller with Questions
vbrecka
Member # 2659

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for vbrecka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I almost hate to post this, but I have not found all my answers in previous posts. I've taken plenty of airplanes, so I'm comfortable with that type of travel. This is my first ever train trip, and I'm so nervous and excited! I have a million questions and worries and I hope that someone can calm my wild mind! Or if anyone can recommend a website that answers all these questions, that would be lovely too!

I will be taking my first ever train trip this Thursday. I leave from Milwaukee to Chicago with an unreserved coach ticket where I have a 2 hour layover. Then I will continue from Chicago to Detroit with a Reserved Coach ticket. What is the difference between the unreserved and the coach tickets?

Now here come the really lame questions!
-Are the conductors easily identifiable so I can harrass them with my questions and concerns too?
-Who takes my ticket, and when?
-How will I know where I need to wait for my train?
-How will I know where I get off?
-How do I know what part of the train I'm supposed to get on?
-How big are the seats? I'm a big girl; will I have to be embarassed about rubbing butt cheeks with someone for 5 hours?
-What do I do with my carry on baggage if I need to get up and go to the bathroom? Or what if I want to wander to another part of the train?
-How big are the bathrooms? Where do I find them? For that matter, how do I find anything on the train?

I think that covers it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Posts: 3 | From: Waukesha, WI, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the rails! I'm not familiar with the specific trains you'll be taking, so I can't answer all of your questions, but I can answer the more general ones. And your questions aren't lame, they are perfectly normal for a newcomer.

I've only taken reserved coach trains, so I don't really know the difference between reserved and unreserved other than the fact that reserved coach usually requires an advance reservation.

-Are the conductors easily identifiable so I can harrass them with my questions and concerns too?

Yes, they usually wear a tie, wear a conductor's cap (just like in the movies), and have a name tag that identifies their position. They usually have a radio on their belt, too. You can also harrass, er, inquire with other crew members about your questions.

-Who takes my ticket, and when?

The conductor takes it after you board. Remain in your seat until your ticket has been taken. You may need to show photo ID. The conductor will place a tag over your seat indicating your destination. Then you are free to move about the train without worrying that someone else will take your seat.

-How will I know where I need to wait for my train?

The best place to wait is at the station.

Oh, you want more. They can help you find your train platform at the station. I haven't been in a large station for a very long time, but there should be signs directing you to a specific platform much like signs in an airport that direct you to a gate.

-How do I know what part of the train I'm supposed to get on?

The train attendants at the door of each car can advise you.

-How will I know where I get off?

Station stops will be announced over the PA system on the train. It also helps to follow along on a timetable as you progress on your journey.

-How big are the seats?

Significantly wider than coach airline seats.

will I have to be embarassed about rubbing butt cheeks with someone for 5 hours?

What better way is there to introduce yourself?

-What do I do with my carry on baggage if I need to get up and go to the bathroom? Or what if I want to wander to another part of the train?

Since I'm not familiar with your particular trains, I can't vouch for security on those trains, but I usually keep things under the seat in front of me and wander about. But I wouldn't leave wallets, purses, or expensive digital cameras.

-How big are the bathrooms? Where do I find them?

Size depends on what sort of cars are on a train. If you are in Superliners (silver bi-level cars with the word "Superliner" in big blue letters on the side) the rest rooms are located on the lower level. Superliner rest rooms are dinky, like airliner rest rooms, There is one handicapped rest room that is better, but is still awkwardly laid out. (You don't have to be handicapped to use it.) Single level cars have rest rooms at the end of the car. You may find ladies at one end and men's at the other. I can't say for sure because I haven't been on a single level train in over 20 years.

For that matter, how do I find anything on the train?

If you don't see it, ask.

My standard advice to first time train travelers is to expect to have fun, but don't expect perfection. Most train trips involve a few glitches, at least in this country.

Here's a site with good train travel advice http://www.narprail.org Click on the "travel tips" link on the left side of the page.

Anything else?

I hope it goes well.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 07-22-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will reply to ur "lame" ?s:

1) The conductors do where uniforms that I think consist of shirt, tie, Suit Vest, and Blazer.

2) The Conductor will come around about 5-7 minutes after departure from you point of orgin.
3) Usually if there is anyone around the station ur at there will be other vetern rail riders waiting in line to board. In Chicago they have gates for Different trains, and u will have to wait in line with other rail travellers so listen to the intercom when they direct you to ur train, people will check ur ticket to make sure its the right one.

4)Most stations the Conductor will go over the intercom and announce the next destination, Chicago of course is the end of the line and everyone will exit the train so thats the time u r in Chi town.

5)Go up to one entrance to the train tell them your destination they'll tell u if you need to board there or go down to the next car.

6)The seats are greatly size, in my mind.
Plenty of leg room, and the width of the seat is fine.

7)There are over head luggage racks that are about 6 feet or a little more above the aisle over your seats. If you want to wander to a different part of the train, remember where you are orginally seated.

8)Two bathrooms are located at one end of the train, which end I cant specify, but u should be able to locate. They too are very spacious. I know there is water containers with small cups at one end of the train(I think same end as bathrooms). Watch out for the water though, when you push the button sometimes the water will shoot out at 100 MPH and spray all over you.

Hope this helps

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a couple extra notes:

Both of your endpoints (Chicago and Detriot) are the last stops on the trains you will be riding. No need to fear missing your stop.

The trains will most likely be made up of single-level Amfleet or Horizon coaches, designed specifically for medium-distance travel. Both are accoutered roughly the same, with seats comparable in size to those on business- or first-class on most airlines.

Boarding is simple. Most of the car doors will be open when the train is ready. Unless directed otherwise by a crewmember, just climb aboard. Same in reverse for exiting.

There is no physical difference between reserved and unreserved seats, nor is there assigned seating. Just find a good window seat, and enjoy. Though technically a seat is only guaranteed on a reserved train, your chances of standing between Milwaukee and Chicago are about the same as seeing the Grand Canyon along the way.

Barring the obvious precautions mentioned by Mr. Toy, you needn't worry about leaving your luggage unattended on the overhead rack. People do it all the time. Go to the cafe car, grab a coffee, and rest easy.

Have a great trip.

[This message has been edited by JFB (edited 07-23-2003).]

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Continuing with the advise:

On the Hiawatha, if you are not traveling during rush hour, your chances of having a double seat to yourself are extremely good.
Just lift the arm rest between the seats (if it's down).

Your carryons will either go in the overhead rack (considerably larger than an airline's overhead), or, there is space at one end of the car that you can store luggage (our usual scenario).

The restrooms on the Milwaukee to Chicago train (Hiawatha) are roomy. The handicap is huge, just be sure you properly lock the door. If it starts to open while you're in there, you cannot just reach over and re-close it (the door is too far away). This is not a problem in the other one.

Walk around the train, investigate, have fun. Also, there is a snack cart that roams around the Hiawatha. It's somewhat expensive, but not excessively so.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vbrecka
Member # 2659

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for vbrecka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all the replies everyone! I'm feeling a lot more calm about taking my trip. Now I can concentrate on being excited about going on my first train trip, rather than worrying about every dirty detail.

I will update on my adventures when I get home. I already know of one bit of excitement that involves taking a bus out of Detroit to Battle Creek, MI to get the train there to Chicago. I got a call from Amtrak saying there would be work on the track and they would bus me. Crazy. Has anyone gotten to enjoy the joys of taking the bus and catching another train?

Posts: 3 | From: Waukesha, WI, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vbreka,

Every Amtrak bus that I have taken has definitely been a notch above any Greyhound bus that I had the misfortune to ride on. The buses are clean and the driver are very friendly. You may actually find it a bit of a relief to ride on inflated rubber wheels for a while, although you will find the amenities somewhat lacking.

The Hiawatha is the train that will take you from Milwaukee to Chicago. I have taken it a few times and I find it very interesting, for a variety of reasons.

First of all, although the trainset is old (70's era, I think) they did something ingenious to it, and I believe this modification should be made to all the long haul trains. What they did was retrofit a hand blow dryer in the bathroom. This may seem like a small detail, but by doing so they do not need paper towels. And, in the course of a long trip, used paper towels do have a way of accumulating.

However, paper towels are nice to have around when one is obliged to clean up the mess that the previous occupant made, so not having them there is also problematic. Somebody did once mention that on the Acella, Amtrak's high speed train, the bathrooms are equipped with both paper towels and a hand blower.

Also, when you board the Hiawatha, take note that half the seats point one direction and half point the other direction. If you are like me, you will probably want to be facing the direction that the train is heading.

Food service on the Hiawatha consists of a friendly person who will pushing a cart of snacks down the aisle of the train. I don't believe he takes credit cards, so you may want to have some cash handy. The dining cars in the long haul trains do take credit cards, but the person in the cafe car only takes cash.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 07-23-2003).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vbrecka, It looks like you'll be taking the 334 Hiawatha that leaves Milwaukee at 10:50 and gets to Chicago at 12:19. Then taking the Lake Cities leaving Chicago at 2:10 arriving Detroit at 8:30.

Or you could be taking the EMPIRE BUILDER leaving Milwaukee 2:05 arriving Chicago at 3:45, then taking the Twilight Limited leaving Chicago at 6:00 arriving Detroit 12:18.

I was trying to get the 2 hour delay in Chicago right.

JFB, The last stop from Chicago to Detroit on the LAKE CITIES and Twilight Limited is Pontiac. So Detroit isnt the Final Stop.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vbrecka
Member # 2659

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vbrecka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UncleBuck44:
Vbrecka, It looks like you'll be taking the 334 Hiawatha that leaves Milwaukee at 10:50 and gets to Chicago at 12:19. Then taking the Lake Cities leaving Chicago at 2:10 arriving Detroit at 8:30.

You got it! Very good detective work. A little scary, but very good!!!

daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding a few things:

Make sure you know both the name and the train number of your train, just in case you see/hear announcements that only have one or the other (not likely, but it could happen).

You are allowed to bring your own food/drink on the train.

I don't know what the cars on your train might be like, but I have taken single-level trains on the Northeast Corridor that have little overhead lit signs in each car. These signs indicate which direction to go in for the lounge car, and where the restrooms are located for that car.

Don't know if delays on your routes are common, but be prepared for delays anyway. Bring a good book or something to do. The time will go by fast, even if there are delays.

Enjoy! Train travel may take longer than air travel, but it is far more civilized and comfortable.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UncleBuck44:
JFB, The last stop from Chicago to Detroit on the LAKE CITIES and Twilight Limited is Pontiac. So Detroit isnt the Final Stop.

Now that's the kind of correction I like to hear--that service goes farther than I had thought. I stand happily corrected.

(Now if only I could be wrong about the Ethan Allen terminating in Rutland, instead of Burlington . . .)

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out My 10 Tips for Train Riders on the home page link on my web site. http://www.trainweb.org/chris
Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly wonder where all these worries about train travel come from. Train travel is about three-quarters of a century older than road travel, certainly about a century older than commonplace cross-country road travel. It has preceded airline travel by over a century also. The key word to train travel is "relaxed" and I advise all people who by some outside chance have never traveled by train before to approach train travel with that particular keyword in mind. Another keyword is "simplicity".

Food service on the Hiawatha consists of a friendly person who will pushing a cart of snacks down the aisle of the train

When did this start? I rode the Hiawatha some four years ago and no such service was offered.

[This message has been edited by irishchieftain (edited 07-25-2003).]

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as information....a ticket on an unreserved train does not gaurantee one a seat, only transportation...a ticket on a reserved train is supposed to mean there is a seat for you on the train.

There is only one LSA on the Hiwatha service so he can't be on all trains. No hot food is available, only sodas; beer/wine; popcorn/pretzels; etc....no coffee.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page