RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Kid's Meals in the Dining Car

Author Topic: Kid's Meals in the Dining Car
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a father of a young girl, I am usually disappointed with the so-called "Kids meals" restaurants have today. Typically, they are nothing but chicken strips, grilled cheese sandwiches, or hamburgers with nothing but pickles and ketchup. Although my daughter eats smaller portions than the rest of us, she is still a human being and likes to eat quality food. Normally, we waste food in restaurants because I encourage my daughter order adult meals so that she can still eat the quality foods, rather than ckicken strips, etc.

The Coast Starlight's dining car was an altogether different situation. We were impressed with the overal quality of food, and especially the quality of the kid's meals. They were real meals with quality food including salad and vegetables.

The Amtrak kid's meals were what I expect a kid's meal to be, the same quality food as the adults eat, but smaller portions. While fast food restaurants are being criticized for helping to make America overweight, I think Amtrak shoud be applauded. I wish more restaurants would follow Amtrak's example.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good observation. I think you should write to Amtrak and let them know you appreciate that.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they musta changed that when they did the whole menu change. a year ago on the sunset, the kid stuff was crap..mac & cheese was it, no more.
chris was happy with that but still, no other choices!

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We very recently took a trip on the Empire Builder, and the kids' choices were macaroni and cheese or chicken fingers. The entree was served with a vegetable mix that contained a great deal of chopped up green and red pepper and was heavily seasoned with coarsely-ground black pepper. Most kids, in my experience, don't go for strong peppery flavors or anything that looks like specks or dirt in their food, and mine sure didn't. They loved the entrees, but I, too, would like them to eat more healthfully and with more variety. Of course, on the westward trip they ran out of both kids meals as well as lots of other stuff (eggs, for instance). I hope the changes you desribed are a trend. We hear all the time about the epidemic of youth obesity, and restaurants are more and more offering alternative, lighter entrees, yet the kids stuff is still all fried.
Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your replies. Mr. Toy, I am working on a letter to Amtrak that will include several good, and several bad things. I certainly will mention these kid's meals.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale) www.geocities.com/evrr

[This message has been edited by Konstantin (edited 08-03-2003).]

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a few years ago that the kids meals were served in a colorful box that were called "Choo-Choo meals" or something similar to that. (Can't remember exactly)

My sisters ordered them, and one chose Mac & Cheese and the other chose a mini burger (I think). The meals came with a small dessert or jello pack. I think there was some fruit too.

I still have the boxes somewhere, I knew they were something to keep.

Amtrak doesn't use these anymore, do they?

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
I remember those Choo-Choo boxes. I am glad they do not use them anymore. Similar to the point I made at the beginning of this post, I am glad to see Amtrak dining cars treating young people with respect and dignity, just like the adults, except with smaller portions. Today's children seem have to be entertained in everything they do. I was glad that my daughter was served with regular china and silverware, just like the rest of us. I think the rest of this country needs to stop babying children and let them learn correct manners without being entertained all of the time.

I am a high school teacher, and I could go on for a long time about this topic, but this forum is not the place to do it.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the Coast Starlight tryign to get some food and I have to say if your not in a sleeper and I was just going from Los Angelse to San Jose...The food is quite pricey a Steak is $20.00 I can get a Filet Mignon at Tony Roma's cheaper than that...The other thing is all the reservations were all full...So I had to eat a microwave hamburger from the downstairs cafe car! Which was awful..But anyway...You said I wish there were more places like the Coast Starlight Dining Car....I was wondering if ANYONE new of a nice train restarunt once at a hotel called the Miramar hotel and resort in Santa Barbara right on the train tracks ( not laying on the tracks but newxt to on a deck there was an actual train car serving Burgers ETC. DOes anyone know of any kind of train restarunt in California?

Thanks,

Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! I remember that restaurant.It was right next to the main line.they had the Starlight schedule printed on the menu,with a note that the southbound train was usually late.they also had the schedule for the Spirit of California.This was an overnight train Amtrak ran for a few years between L.A. and Sacramento.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page