RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Bush seeks more state power over Amtrak

Author Topic: Bush seeks more state power over Amtrak
StonewallJones
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for StonewallJones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030729/ap_on_go_ot/amtrak_finances_8

Bush Proposes Amtrak Reform Plan Which Would Give States More Control

"Congressional critics say President Bush's six-year plan to force the states to pick up more of Amtrak's costs ignores short-term problems that could shut down the railroad. Bush sent a bill to Congress on Monday that would end Amtrak's monopoly on intercity passenger rail service, minimize federal subsidies and promote competition among railroad operators"

[This message has been edited by StonewallJones (edited 07-29-2003).]

Posts: 62 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Amtrak President David Gunn said he wasn't consulted or briefed on the proposed legislation."

And I might add, neither were the states.

The Bush administration is both arrogant and ignorant if they think they can put together a coherent plan without input from the principle participants!!!

In another article I read the plan points to the Cascades service as a good example of how multi-state funding agreements would work to maintain interstate service. Never mind that the Republican's in Oregon are about to shut down funding for the Oregon segment. This example shows that you can't rely on the fickle nature of 48 different state budgets to maintain a national system.

Here's a link to the official DOT information. I haven't had a chance to read it yet. http://www.dot.gov/affairs/dot06303.htm

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 07-29-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course any legislation sent by an administration to Congress is just a starting point and Congress will see to it that interested parties are brought in to the discussions.

We can not expect states with little Amtrak
operation to become involved, like Idaho or
Arkansas for example. But there can and should be a place for the states with substantial transportation needs to look at
having Amtrak be part of the solution.

This is a start. Lets let it play out.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm totally satified with our Senator. So far, she's done the right thing, time after time after time...... http://www.railspot.com/txarp/kbh-longview.htm
I'm a proud member of TXARP.

Time to write Bush again and complain about Mineta's extremely short-sighted vision for Amtrak, passenger rail, and our Nation's transportation needs.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page