RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Upcoming Weekend Trip

Author Topic: Upcoming Weekend Trip
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be heading out to Chicago this weekend for a business trip. Trying to do business and pleasure at the same time, so I have arranged to take the train both ways between Chicago and NYC. Recently I have resorted to taking train only one way and plane the other - due to scheduling changes. Leaving on Friday out of NYC and thinking about getting off in South Bend and renting a car for the day. Is the New York Central Railway museum in Elkhart worthwhile? How much time should I allot? Will probably catch a train to Chicago via Niles later in the day. Any railway museums or railfan interests anyone could recommend in the Chicago area? Hanging out in Chicago Union station to watch train movements doesn't necessarily interest me. I am taking the Three Rivers back on my return. I've booked a standard bedroom. I will only get breakfast and lunch on the eastbound Three Rivers? Any info is certainly appreciated.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Chicago, there's the Museum of Science and Industry, which has the Burlington's Pioneer Zephyr train on exhibit, along with a huge model railroad display.

If you're going to have your rental car for the whole weekend, out in the far western suburbs are the Illinois Railroad Museum and the Fox River Trolley Museum.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page