RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Plannin a trip

Author Topic: Plannin a trip
dantc1
Member # 2699

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for dantc1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all--

I'm planning to do a bit of a loop this winter, taking the Coast Starlight from Oakland to Portland where I'll board the Empire Builder to Chicago, then hop on the California Zephyr into Emeryville.

Is planning now for doing this trip in December optimistic or realistic, given the current, suspenseful state of Amtrak's finances?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

------------------
Dan Berkes
\\ Hayward, CA 94544
// dantc1@yahoo.com

Posts: 2 | From: Hayward, CA 94544 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My "guess" is you can plan on your trip with relative confidence.
You may want to wait on making reservations until October to see if Amtrak makes it into it's next fiscal year with the funding that it needs.
December is not a big travel month, except for the Holiday periods, coach reservations should be readily available. Sleeper availability is sometimes limited. I recommend you check the Amtrak website (www.amtrak.com) for availabilty and price information.
Have a great trip!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daylight vanishes pretty early in December. It'll be dark outside by 4:30 pm or so.

If the view from the train window is one of your primary motivations for making the trip, keep in mind that you won't get to see as much. Shorter days are the one drawback of traveling in winter.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantc1
Member # 2699

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dantc1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
Daylight vanishes pretty early in December. It'll be dark outside by 4:30 pm or so.

That's okay. One of the reasons I have for making this trip in the winter is that all of my long-haul Amtrak trips have been during the summer months.

Thanks, all, for the information. Much appreciated!

------------------
Dan Berkes
\\ Hayward, CA 94544
// dantc1@yahoo.com

Posts: 2 | From: Hayward, CA 94544 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By taking the CZ westbound you will still catch the most spectacular part of the Rockies in daylight. Ditto with the Coast Starlight. Your schedule takes you through the Cascades in daylight. I hope you get to see lots of snow, as we did last march. I got photos on this page: http://hometown.aol.com/toysontrax/starlight0303/starlight-march02p2.html

I suggest you go ahead with your planning now. Odds are high that funding will come through one way or another. In the unlikely event that it doesn't, the worst that can happen is a refund.

For politcal reasons, I think it is a good idea to make reservations in advance of funding. Shutdown threats hurt ticket sales, and you can show your support for Amtrak by making that reservation now.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 08-12-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NYRailFan
Member # 2692

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYRailFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you're right about the funding for Amtrak. I just made my reservation for early 2004.
Posts: 26 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page