RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Very Late Sunset

Author Topic: Very Late Sunset
Genesis803
Member # 122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Genesis803     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The eastbound Sunset Limited #2 was 19 hours and 28 minutes late into New Orleans Friday (Saturday). Does anyone know why?

Maybe a mechanical problem or is UP just up to its old tricks again?

Posts: 34 | From: Biloxi, MS USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flooding in AZ , I've heard.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to NARP's Hotline (www.narprail.org 8/22)the westbound Southwest Chief arrived in LA 16:35 late due to a track washout in AZ on 8/19, then turned around to become the eastbound Sunset leaving LA 12 hours late on 8/21. I would guess this had something to do with available trainsets.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coronado
Member # 2395

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coronado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what happened. I was on the Sunset and we left 12.5 hours late from Los Angeles. Our conductor said our original trainset was sent as the eastbound Southwest Chief and we therefore had no train to board at 10:30 pm on Wednesday. Had to wait on the westbound Southwest Chief trainset to be serviced for our use as the Sunset. I opted to spend the night at the Days Inn across the street from the station as we were told the train would be ready around 6:45 the next morning. Of course it wasn't and we didn't leave until 11am Thursday.

Great thing about the extremely late departure was that we saw some scenery normally passed in the night when the Sunset is on time, including the large sand dunes near Yuma, AZ and a rare daylight eastbound crossing of the Pecos High Bridge in Texas.

Before arriving into San Antonio at 8:15pm (by now almost 15 hours late) the conductor informed us that arrangments had been made for some of the Texas Eagle passengers to continue by bus north to destinations in Texas. However, checking around, I discovered that passengers traveling north of Texas were told they could stay on the train... the last two cars of the Sunset scheduled to connect with the Texas Eagle the following morning. Not wanting to be stuck on a bus in the middle of the night for 7 hours and arrive in Dallas at 4am, I decided I would just stay in my sleeper with the Arkansas, Missouri, and Illinois passengers. This option wasn't announced to the Texas passengers and many of them (including several elderly and disabled passengers for whom the bus ride would surely be uncomfortable) jumped on the bus like it was the best thing going and left around 9pm or so.

Still, we left San Antonio almost an hour and half late on Saturday morning and were making pretty good time until we got within about 3 miles of the Dallas station where we waited for more than 2 hours for a couple of freight trains to clear.

Arrived in Dallas last night, 27.5 hours late.

Nevertheless, an extremely interesting mix of fellow passengers in my sleeper car actually made this my most enjoyable Amtrak trip to date.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
arrived in Lafayette LA at 11:57am on Saturday
Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page