RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sleepers from Chicago to Seattle? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sleepers from Chicago to Seattle?
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent Loudon said:

"Both Superliner and "heritage" diners have table seating for four, with movable chairs."

I have traveled in both Superliner and heritage diners on nearly all the AMTRAK routes, and have NEVER seen a movable chair in either dining cars. They are all bench seats, and they are not movable.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy
Member # 942

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a queen-size traveler, I would LOVE to have moveable chais in a diner, but I have never seen on on Superliner diners or on the Lakeshore Limited (which is guess is a heritage diner?). It's extrememly difficult to squeeze into those tables without taking the tablecloth with you if you happen to "dimensionally challeneged".
Posts: 25 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I blew it! My memory just can't get past the "good ol days".

I guess I sort of like the fixed seating. I always found the movable chairs difficult to adjust on the carpeted floors!

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I blew it! The dining car meals on my last trip were so good I completely ignored the seating arrangements!

Actually, I find the fixed seating very satisfactory, being of average build. I pity anyone over 250 lbs! And I always found the movable chairs so damned hard to adjust on the carpeted floor!

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Kent Loudon:
"Both Superliner and "heritage" diners have table seating for four, with movable chairs."

The Empire Builder has a Superliner dining car. However, neither Superliner nor Heritage diners have movable seats. Both cars are equipped with stationary bench seats affixed to the floor of the cars.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should definitely do the trip by train. From Akron, I'd think seriously about going to Toronto and taking the Via Rail train across Canada. Maybe you can go that way, come back on Amtrak, or vice versa.

As to hotels in Seattle, I'd recommend the Edgewater Hotel highly. It's not far from King Street Station (maybe a 10-minute cab ride) and it's on a pier in Elliott Bay. Very tastefully decorated, good restaurant with a great view, lovely lounge with fireplace, some rooms with balconies and all with water views. I paid about $150, but you can probably get a group discount. You're near Pioneer Square and other destinations, and (come to think of it) the Seattle Waterfront Trolley will take you from King Street to right in front of the hotel.

Have a great trip.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Still wondering......
Is it true the empire builder, at one of its service stops, washes the train? The one site said there are some service stops where you can get out and walk around for awhile and someone told me it was so the train could get fuel, water, and be washed. Were they pulling my leg? [/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 31 | From: Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They do wash the train! The locomotives get fuel, water, and sand. The passenger cars get their windows washed, and are sometimes stocked with food, newspapers, and other amenities. The stops only take about 20-35 minutes, and it's a great time to get out and walk around.
I remember a trip I took on the Coast Starlight about 12 years ago. I believe that the entire train went through a "train wash." Anyone else hear about these?!

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 08-31-2001).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy
Member # 942

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In response to Eric's comment about the train wash on the Coast Starlight - it must be out of commission because the northbound train I was on in early July had filthy windows. Everyone was commenting on it - maybe due to drought conditions they weren't washing that train? They did, however, wash all the windows on the California Zephyr during the stop in Denver 2 days earlier - really appreciated clean windows to see that spectacular Colorado scenery.
Posts: 25 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all of you who have been so helpful with comments and facts about train travel....I just wanted to thank you again and tell you about the SCARE I had! I called to book our trip yesterday...the amtrak to Van BC and the cruise for next June. The travel agent contacted amtrak reservations and found there were NO sleepers available on the train leaving the day we had intended on starting our trip!! It seems another group had booked most of the sleepers. Our agent and the amtrak agent did some checking and found there were enough sleepers available leaving the day before we were planning on leaving so we quickly took them. It was just such a shock to think that over 9 months before a trip the sleepers were sold out. Thank goodness I didn't wait a few more weeks...we might not have been going at all!

I wonder why amtrak does not put on an extra sleeper car if the interest is there? Are the trains only allowed to have a certain number of cars on their trips?

Anyway.. I guess things are ok now.We will get to spend an extra day in Seattle this way and maybe we can do some sightseeing and even drive down to Mt St Helens or some of the other attractions of the area. What could have been a terrible disappointment turned out to possibly be a blessing!
Just wanted to share my experience with you!

Posts: 31 | From: Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to hear that you were able to make your reservations. Passengers are usually booked a long time before their trip if traveling in sleepers (and also in coach).

I'm not sure if Amtrak can add an extra car, because most of the time their car supply is stretched to its limits, with peak season being the summer months and off-peak during the winter months.
There isn't a limit as to how many cars they can put on one train. They might add another locomotive if the train is very long and heavy. There will also be quite a few mail and express cars behind the passenger cars.
Good luck with the rest of your trip planning,
Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks ERIC for the info!

CHRISJ...I wanted to let you know we are taking the 760 from Seattle to Van BC..like you suggested. It is the same price for us to do that as it would be to take the Amtrak bus. We are taking the bus on the return trip though. Glad you brought it to our attention!

Are the western wildfires causing any problems for the trains?

What is the website to check and see if the trains have been running on schedule? Someone mentioned about checking it for several days to moniter its timeliness.

...and the planning goes on.....

Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>What is the website to check and see if the trains have been running on schedule?<<
http://tickets.amtrak.com/JBookIt?function=handlers.amtrak.AmtrakTrainStatusHandler&storefront=1003

Note: you have to enter the train's origin, destination, and an exact date of departure.

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy46:
I wonder why amtrak does not put on an extra sleeper car if the interest is there? Are the trains only allowed to have a certain number of cars on their trips?

The main reason is lack of money to buy or even repair broken cars. An apalling number of cars (something like 40-60) are sitting idle because Amtrak doesn't have the money to repair them.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
There isn't a limit as to how many cars they can put on one train.

I believe Amtrak has an agreement with the freight railroads to limit Amtrak trains to a certain number of cars, including passenger and express. I'm not sure what the number is, but I know Amtrak's trains are typically well below the limit, so there is plenty of growing room.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 09-06-2001).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Mr. Toy! I wasn't entirely sure of my answer!
I didn't realize that there were THAT many cars backed up at Beech Grove. It's really too bad. Another shot in the arm from lack of sufficient funding. I hope you're reading this Congress (if you know how).

DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
I believe Amtrak has an agreement with the freight railroads to limit Amtrak trains to a certain number of cars, including passenger and express. I'm not sure what the number is, but I know Amtrak's trains are typically well below the limit, so there is plenty of growing room.

The limit is 30 cars. Auto-Train is the only train which exceeds this number.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Southwest Chief almost reaches that number. Most days it carries 10-12 passenger cars, a baggage car and 12-15 mail and express cars. Any others come close?
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi to all
The standard sleepers do have ladders to climb in the top bunks, don't they?

Blankets are also provided, aren't they? More than one if needed? ( This is prob an unnecessary question but they do use freshly laundered blankets for each new sleeper occupants...don't they?)

I imagine attire is casual all the time on the trip. Is there any reason one might have to "dress up"? ( Like for supper)

I saw Eric's comment about the wildfires on another amtrak forum. Any updates?
Thanks Candy46

Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sleepers DO have ladders to the top bunks. If I remember correctly, there are 4 or 5 steps, and then you "swing" yourself into the bed. It is fun to sleep up there, and the beds are very comfortable.
Fresh blankets, sheets, and pillows are provided, and are definitely changed between guests (and maybe even every morning). You can ask the car attendent for extra blankets, if needed. The compartment usually stays warm at night, and you might end up kicking off the blanket you already have!
Casual attire can be worn at all times, but on occasion, I've seen some people wearing semi-formal clothes (for dinner).
Eric

Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi to all
(1) The standard sleepers do have ladders to climb in the top bunks, don't they?
(2) Blankets are also provided, aren't they? (3) More than one if needed?
(4) they do use freshly laundered blankets for each new sleeper occupants...don't they?
(5) Is there any reason one might have to "dress up"? ( Like for supper)

(1) Not certain if it's a ladder, but there is some form of assistance. You don't have to be a gymnast.
(2) Yes.
(3) Air conditioning occasionally fails, but heating is more dependable. (Everything on the train, including the dining car stove, is powered by electricity from the locomotive.) One blanket should be sufficient.
(4) All sheets are freshly laundered. I'm not sure, but I think (hope?) the blankets are somehow sanitized for each trip.
(5) No. "Neat casual" is appropriate at all times. In coach, anything goes!

karl jones
Member # 1043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karl jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When traveling I would use the standard bedroom. The restrooms are multiple downstairs and the furthest ones are less used and clean. A toilet in a bedroom is unsavory to me. Also ask for Jay Slinde a sleeping car attendent on of my good friends. He is a riot, great with service and lots of fun.

quote:
Next year a group of us hope to take amtrak from chicago to seattle (actually vancouver bc) where we will be taking an alaskan cruise. We decided to amtrak to go on cruise because a number of the people going have a fear of flying. We are really looking forward to our trip but have some questions about sleeper units.
For the 2 day trip, would you recommend a standard sleeper or the deluxe one that has the commode and sink in it? If you have a standard one...is the community bathroom nearby and is it kept clean during the whole trip? Does it have a shower or just a sink? Does amtrak provide towels etc? What are the pros and cons of each type sleeper unit please.
Also, is there a big difference between amtrak and the canadian via? Comments?
For those of you who have taken the amtrak from chi to van bc....did you feel it was an enjoyable trip? Was it a fairly smooth ride? Were you well taken care of by the staff?
If the cruise ship is scheduled to leave van bc on a sunday @ 5 pm, would you recommend arriving in van bc a day early to allow for any delays? The bus that takes you to van bc from seattle gets into vanbc around 1 or 2 pm I think that might be cutting it too close to try and plan to leave on the cruise the same day you get to vanbc. What do you think?
Any other tips about traveling amtrak on that particular trip will be appreciated!
Thanks in advance for your input!!!

Posts: 2 | From: salem,oregon, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karl, Is Jay on the empire builder run? We did reserve standard sleepers...thank goodness we got them when we did. I have a feeling amtrak travel is going to seem a whole lot more attractive to many people now.

What a horrible tragedy our country has suffered. God Bless the victims, their families and friends, the rescue workers, our leaders...God Bless America...land of the FREE and the BRAVE!!

candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to thank all of you who have helped me make plans for our vacation next year. Your comments and suggestions have been more helpful than you can ever know. I am going to let this topic close...I'll just check once in awile to see if anyone has added anything new. As questions arise between now and next June, I will post it as a new topic.
Thanks again and I will let you know how my trip goes. Maybe I will even be able to offer comments that will help someone else!
God Bless....Candy46

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page