RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Let's fix some obvious AMTRAK problems!

Author Topic: Let's fix some obvious AMTRAK problems!
StevePostal
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for StevePostal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We love AMTRAK but there are many problems to fix NOW! 1- Get rid of surly and non-communicative AMTRAK on-board personnel. 2- Make sure that the dining cars and club cars have adequate food supplies for passengers for the whole trip on each trip. 3- Lower the price of all food offered! The prices are too high! 4- How about publishing realistic timetables with true train arrival expectations. 5- Make sure all locks and toilets and bedroom equipment are in working order before a run so that passengers are satisfied not disappointed!
6- Clean the windows on all cars so that we can see the scenery. 7- Make sure toilets in all AMTRAK stations are clean and oprating.

Posts: 9 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you. I have had every single one of your problems listed here happen to me, most of them several times. It is interesting that rarely any of these problems occur with airlines.

I do not know what the answer is. I think Amtrak has too many employees with a "could care less" attitude. Possibly, it is just too difficult to fire employees at Amtrak. I have little respect for most Amtrak employees.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree also. I also agree with Konstantin, that most of these problems do not occur on the airlines.

One beef I have is poor communication about delays, and this is one area where Amtrak actually does a "slightly better" job than the airlines.

It is probably difficult to fire employees at Amtrak. It also might be difficult to attract new employees, especially with the company being on the ropes financially every year.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid I disagree on a couple of points. Firstly airlines IMX do run out of food (ok, not food itself but the choice gets severely restricted towards the end of serving).

Secondly, extending schedules to meet realistic arrival times doesn't and hasn't worked - just look at the Sunset whose trip was extended by over 5 hours a few years ago, and whose timekeeping is *still* abysmal. Another example: when you can make up 2 full hours of delay in 18 hours on the Empire Builder. The delays will grow to fit the space available.

One other minor point: I personally don't think the dinner prices are excessive. But then I come from a country where there is a mark-up of 58% of MRP on a bottle of coke "just because it's served on a train".

Other than that, agreed!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly Amtrak has room for improvement. There is no excuse for surly employees, but I should point out that I encountered some pretty grumpy flight attendants on the way to Hawaii last November.

I've mentioned this before, and maybe it is time to bring it up again. Amtrak might have more resources to devote to its internal problems if it didn't have to spend so much time dealing with an indifferent (often hostile) Congress and uncooperative host railroads.

On the schedule padding, I've observations similar to Geoff's. Schedules are already pretty heavily padded, and it doesn't seem to have helped. I suspect the dispatchers look at that padding and figure they have even more room for delays than they had before.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 08-26-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I'm with you, Mr. Toy. I think Amtrak does a great job with the crumbs that Congress throws their way. The long haul trains seem to be held together with duct tape and its a miracle they arrive at their destination at all.

I think the food is great and very reasonably priced. The service is excellent and the attendants always treat me with courtesy and respect (maybe its that engineer's cap I always wear!)

I cannot wait to climb aboard Amtrak for my next adventure. About the only point I agree on is that yes, the windows could be a little cleaner.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fubu05
Member # 465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fubu05   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Service Problems:

Coast Starlight:

Ontime performance can be here-and-there.

To solve this problem, extend one Surfliner to Klamath Falls, Or., extend the Builder to Klamath Falls, OR, and run one additonal Cascade Train SEA-PDX.

The Superliner Coaches/Diners/Lounges would be distributed between the Surfliner and Empire Builder routes, Parlour cars would be run on the Surfliner Route ONLY.

Sunset Limited:

Operate Los Angeles to New Orleans only, cede the east half of the line over to the City of New Orleans/Empire Builder. Increase service west of NOL to operate five-trips-per-week each direction. East of New Orleans, service would be operated daily.

Empire Builder:

Operate one Cascades train SPK-SEA-PDX replacing the SEA-SPK leg. Operate the entire train via Pasco and Portland. Extend to Klamath Falls, replacing the KFS-PDX segment of the Starlight.

Maintain service south of CHI to NOL, extend to MIA replacing a segment of the Sunset.

Cardinal:

Increase to Daily, combine with Texas Eagle (see below), run Local cars CHI-IND-CIN.

Texas Eagle:

Operate train CHI-SAS-LAX as its own train, operating opposite the Sunset SAS-LAX.

Combine with the Cardinal at Chicago with the name Texas Eagle and trains 21 and 22.

Run Local Coaches STL-CHI-CIN as 321/322.

Trains 421 and 422 would maintain the existing 21/22 slot CHI-SAS only.

California Zephyr and Three Rivers:

These trains should be combined, upgrading three-r to Superliners, extending service on the CZ to PHL. Segment north of PHL to NYP on the Three-R would be replaced by new Keystone roundtrip.

Palmetto:

Upgrade equipment to Surfliner, re-name as "Atlantic Surfliner" and operate Washington-Miami Only. Move Amfleet/Viewliner equipment over to other Florida trains.

Segment of #89/#90 north of Washington to New York replaced by trains #76/#77.

Crescent:

Increase to seven coaches/four sleepers using some equipment off of other upgraded trains.

Pacific Surfliner:

Extend SLO-KFS replacing a portion of the Starlight, service Capitol stops.

Add three more roundtrips LAX-SBA with one to SLO.

San Joaquin:

Operate #701 and #704 SAC-RDD and return.
Add third Sacramento train, extend #702 and #703 SAC-SUI. Add fifth Oakland roundtrip connecting to the stray-motorcoach off #785.

Capitol:

Extend one of the trains ARN-RNO, provide more service SAC-ARN.

Panic Boxes:

Use these cars on corridor trains which are push-pull operated.

Primarily Pacific Surfliners and Capitols.

Posts: 60 | From: Tampa, Florida | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page