RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Towels

Author Topic: Towels
the_maitre
Member # 2632

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for the_maitre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All,

Well it looks like everything is a go for our Autotrain trip in November but Mom asked one more question which I didn't know the answer to.

I rode the Southwest Chief over 10 years ago in coach and took a shower every day (because I don't like to stink he said). I can't remember for the life of me if Amtrak provided towels for coach passengers as well as sleeper passengers or if coach passengers are required to bring thier own means to dry off - perhaps a hair dryer? ;-)

Erik

Posts: 26 | From: southbridge, MA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeping car passengers have 24 hour access to the "public" shower. If you're in a deluxe room, you'll have your own shower/toilet combo. Amtrak provides towels.

Coach passengers aren't allowed to use the showers, regardless of how long they're on the train. Or how badly they stink.

The towels in the rest rooms are paper -- although I occasionally come across a car equipped with wall-mounted hot air dryers.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 08-27-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly is correct. Coaches are not equipped with showers. Only sleeping cars are, but they are off-limits to coach passengers.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liek they said, no showers for coach..i recommend:

take 2 towels one to get wet and one to dry and try to wash the stinky parts on the tiny little bitty bathroom. Well most of the stinky parts. and load up on deoderant.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a very experienced rider in the coach department, I suggest the use of "Wet Ones" to maintain one's hygiene. It has enough alcohol in it to kill just about any known bacteria and leaves one surprisingly fresh. I would not be at all surprised if the astronauts did not use it, or indeed, help develop it.

As far the bathrooms are concerned, one can use the huge handicap restrooms if they are not occupied. Personally, I prefer the men's dressingrooms that have the drop down baby changing devices on which I can put my various lotions, potions, salves and powders.

While I'm on the subject, I can not emphasize enough to beginning coach riders to clean up after yourselves and even the slobs that preceeded you. It has become obvious to me that many of the people who read this forum think that Amtrak is synonymous with the word "cruise ship." It is not.

Amtrak is one of the few privileges that citizens can enjoy for the hard-earned taxes that they pay every year. Over the years I have begun to realize how lucky I am to be able to climb aboard a national passenger railroad system that traverses the United States.

Lots of our readers, unfortunately, have an attitude that is absolutely impossible for me to understand. Their expectations of what $1.5 billion dollars can buy to cover 30,000 miles of track is totally unreasonable.

Unless these harsh critics of Amtrak start rallying behind the cause of what we've got, I do believe that when the proverbial crap hits the fan, if we lose our national passenger rail service, the blame will lie entirely at their feet.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 08-27-2003).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After riding 40 hours in a Superliner Coach, I can tell you that although there are no showers in the Coaches as others have mentioned, it is possible to master the art of washing your hair with a dixie cup! Use the larger Mens Room in the coach as you can get set up in there quickly and use a dixie cup to wash your hair, just keep in mind that the water faucet works like a garden hose when you push the lever down! Also bring at least 2 towels depending on the length of your trip, you should be fine. I made sure each night to take a "shower" while onboard but the passenger next to me didn't and this became quite evident as the trip continued on, I was almost glad he spent most of the trip drinking in the lounge car!
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noordam
Member # 2744

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for noordam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chucky:
As a very experienced rider in the coach department, I suggest the use of "Wet Ones" to maintain one's hygiene. It has enough alcohol in it to kill just about any known bacteria and leaves one surprisingly fresh. I would not be at all surprised if the astronauts did not use it, or indeed, help develop it.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 08-27-2003).]

Baby wipes were and still are one of the most requested gifts the soldiers in Iraq want.

Before the Iraq War a retired Army Col friend would do two months running Kawaitee training and two months home (Tampa) in the two months in Sandy Land he would get only one shower a month the rest of the time it was "Whores Baths)...........

Posts: 4 | From: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page