RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Two Weeks - Two Trips

Author Topic: Two Weeks - Two Trips
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lucked out yesterday! Bought tickets for a one way trip from Chicago to Orlando via New Orleans, starting on 20 Sep. Standard sleeper on the City and a deluxe on the Sunset.

A friend from Kenya is in the country on business and will be visiting us in Florida for 5 days and I thought this would be a good 'activity.' (I'll fly up to Chicago the day before and get to see the new HO exhibit at the Museum, too!)

Then, on 2 Oct I have a one way from Florida to Los Angeles and on to Solvang (Sunset, Surfliner and Coach), getting two free days before I continue on west by plane ... alas no rails west from LA). Quite a way to get to the airport!

If anyone's on these trains, let me know!

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucky you. It looks like my next train trip won't be until the end of February.

And its a darned shame that we no longer have rail service west of LA. Bring back SP's City of Honolulu!

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am vvvveeerrryyyy jealous

you will LOVE the huey p. long bridge just outside of NOL!!! its on the sunset westwards....and you'll see alot of schoolbus drivers pretripping their buses in the am(be being one of those i spotted lots of em)

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I took the Sunset last year (to LA, also) I loved that bridge. On the long downside going west a redwinged hawk was flying parallel to us, about 100 feet right outside my window, for almost half a mile. Wonderful! Setting odds on repeating that!
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piedpiper13
Member # 2473

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for piedpiper13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You, guys, are making my mouth water AGAIN!! My wife and I are set for trip from Orlando to Whitefish MT (and back) via New Orleans and Chicago in MAR 04. Can't wait!! Now the itching is getting worse!!

------------------
"My other car and my plane is AMTRAK!" - Bob

Posts: 24 | From: Clermont, FL USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
piedpiper13:
You will be getting into some serious snow. Most of Glacier Park will not be open. And you have a good chance at being snowbound for several days.

You'll have a BLAST!
Enjoy!

(BTDT May 2002)

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page