RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Amtrak HOLLYWOOD Movie

Author Topic: New Amtrak HOLLYWOOD Movie
TRAIN7
Member # 951

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for TRAIN7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am interested in what people (YOU) feel about Hollywood making a movie that depicts Amtrak as an enjoyable, if not magical experience? Would it boost ticket sales?

I am curently working on creating a script for just a such film. Please feel free to write me with any comments you think might
help.

Also, does anyone know the consist for the North Coast Hiawatha or Empire Builder during the summer of 1979, particularly the dome cars?

The film begins during Amtrak's early days and moves foward to what Amtrak offers today. This isn't a 129 minute commercial for Amtrak, but hopefully a heart warming mush type film that begins and ends on Amtrak.

I am also looking for early (1971-1980's) INTERIOR photo's of Amtrak that do not already appear on well traveled web sites.
I would be $ grateful for any photo's, no matter the quality. Family shots would be great to.

Also, does anyone know how to contact Ed Stone (retired Empire Builder)? I would like to include him in this if I could as well as "crew ten".

Thanks for your time and interest. I truly would welcome everyone's comments and suggestions. Please feel free to email me at aaagent@earthlink.net

Thomas D. Johnson

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to see this movie.

I generally do not like any movie made after 1970, and I almost never watch new movies anymore. This is because after about 1970, most movies are just stupid special effects, dirty words, *** , and stupid jokes aimed at teenagers. I hope your movie will focus on a more mature, intelligent audience.

I think this movie would expose a lot of people to what Amtrak really is. I think that the general public, at least out west, really do not have any idea what it is like to ride a train, and never even consider it when planning a trip.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skinsfan31
Member # 910

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skinsfan31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea. Tons of old movies focused around the train in pre-Amtrak days, why can't they now?

As to what Konstantin said about not considering the train, it is a national epidemic. I live in the NEC, and most of my friends have never even thought of taking the train anywhere. I took a good friend on her first train ride a while ago (RVR-BOS and back), and she loved it. Now she rides the train everywhere it goes. But until we start to get the word out that the train is an option, people will continue to fly.

Charles

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a GREAT idea. I've seen Amtrak casually in films before, but none that started and ended on the train. I think you've got a great project. I hope it works out..

I believe you can link to the "crew ten" website from Trainweb. I'm not quite sure of the link. It's on here somewhere.. I'll go search for it and repost if I find it.

If this film gets off the ground, and you need extras willing to work for free, send me an email!

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by lakeshorelimited (edited 07-28-2001).]

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skinsfan31
Member # 910

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skinsfan31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto the last remark. If you need extras, post it here. I'm sure you'll get tons of response.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly enjoyed the movie "Silver Streak" filmed about 10-15 years ago starring Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. The railroad was "AMROAD" instead of AMTRAK, and the consist was clearly Canadian from VIA. I suspect the movie was filmed in Canada to reduce costs.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page