RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » long trip info

Author Topic: long trip info
nants99
Member # 2752

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for nants99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planning on getting a sleeper for a Las Vegas trip in March. What is the latest you can book and still be guaranteed availability. (Amtrak doesn't have new packages available for 2004 yet) Are the prices higher for March or are they in the lower range?

Are some sleepers better than others as far as location? Is there locks on the doors as far as leaving valuables in there while you are in the lounge/dining area?

We will be spending several hours in Chicago, are there any sights/restaurants/attractions within walking distance of the train station?

All the information that I have received so far has been a big help. Really appreciate all of the replies. Any other helpful advice would be welcome. Thanks very much!

Posts: 3 | From: PA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
March should be a good time for sleeper prices and availability. I have traveled the SWC annually in late Feb, and about half the time they were running with some bedrooms vacant. A few months advance booking should give you a choice of rooms.

There is another topic discussing upper vs. lower level on this forum. The coffee and juice are on the upper. A bedroom toward the center will be further from the noise of the doors between cars. I have a slight preference for the north side of the train for scenery and interesting stations.

The bedrooms doors do not lock. (Or if they do, I have heard on this forum they sometimes do not unlock!) Theft from bedrooms has never really been a problem that I am aware of. Coach passengers are not allowed in the sleepers. The car attendent is there and knows who her/his passengers are. Also be aware that in a standard bedroom there is very little room for luggage. Anything large may have to be stored on the lower level in an open shelf area. This is also safe.

Have a great trip.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chicago is a great city to spend a few hours walking around downtown. The station is west of the "loop" in a mixed residential (condos & apartments)office neighborhood, but March weather does not lend itself well to walking in Chicago. Search the web for tourist info and stop by the rack of brochures located across from the Amtrak info counter at the station.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops, forgot, rooms lock on the inside only, not the outside. Pull the curtain and close the door when you leave the room. I wouldn't take anything I'd be afraid of being stolen on any trip, there are just too many possibilities for losing it, however one is traveling.

As for storing luggage in the rack on the lower level, make sure your bags are clearly marked; too many aren't and look alike. For example, tie a colorful ribbon or something around the handle. I've seen too many bags lost when someone took the wrong bag although that seems to be more common in coach than in sleeper.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nants - the Sears Tower is located approximately one block away from Union Station in Chicago. If you have time, take the elevator up to the top and enjoy the view, especially if the weather is cold and blustery, as someone else said it can get like in March. If it's not bad weather, the Chicago Art Institute, and even the Field Museum (my favorite museum in the world!!)are within walking distance of CUS (or you can get there by a short taxicab ride) -- if you are traveling in a sleeper, you can keep your luggage in the 1st Class Lounge at the station while you are sightseeing.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page